AuthorTopic: [C+C] First PixelArts  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Hawk

• View Profile

[C+C] First PixelArts

on: April 18, 2011, 08:17:29 pm
Just signed up!

Been doing some work with PixelArt lately (with the help of The Great JinnDEvil), and I was looking to some feedback...
I already have some poor skills on 2D art, so I guess it helped a little.

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:54:49 pm by Hawk »

Offline JinnDEvil

• Go Commander! Go!
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/17621.htm
    • http://jinndev.deviantart.com/
    • http://jinndevil.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] First PixelArts

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:43:51 pm
I like your lineart, but i kinda disagree about your color choice and your way to shade it...

And since I suck at explain my point of view in english, it's better to just show what I mean:

See? You did use too much dithering, try to keep it more simple.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:05:06 pm by JinnDEvil »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:28 am

hope you understand :D

With the "extreme" im referring to the wind direction and the intensity difference and resistance of both elements

surely hair isnt as tough as cloth (depends what material...) but for hair to move like that
it has to be a stronger wind! or the scarf has to be moved more :O! (hair general)

pose should be explained, you surely captured a difficult movement for your first pose... it reminds me of a premade RPG stance

cool edit devil!

anyways...meep
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:11:25 am by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Hawk

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:19:10 pm
Thanks for all the tips!

And, your edit Jinn, is great too. I'll try to follow what you wanted to say.

Elk, I was going for some kind of artistic license! haha...
Just kidding, I was trying to make a moving pose, like he's walking or just jumping weird. On a future iteration, there are plans for a sword in his right hand. But thanks for the critics, though.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Just not to waste a good post (and to not create a new topic), here I have another pixelart, still Work In Progress.

What do you guys think? Just to say, that head isn't the final deal haha...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:21:33 pm by Hawk »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:35:15 pm
You still have the "off-balance" deal here--at least that's what first struck me when I saw your new sprite. It's to a lesser extent, though. Secondly, the palette seems bland (especially the metal which is just plain grays, no hue-shift seen so far) but that's a matter which I'll go over in a second.

Legs should be bending forwards from our point of view, unless they're hinged in such an unfortunate way that leaves your character basically unable to walk. Oh dear.
So here's a quick 'n dirty guide for you, since I probably would be worse at explaining this with words alone.

What I'm suggesting is an alternative that you model your sprite's legs around. Now that I look back, though, it seems your sprite's in some sort of battle stance, which my edit fails to capture. I may come up with something better.

Oh, right. About the palette. The palette's just a straight ramp from dark to light (or vice versa), no color variation as far as I can tell. I know I'm tossing this word all around the place but many people just seem to neglect this--hue-shifting. I also see bits of banding in your sprite, most notably, in the top segment of the left arm. Pipe-thing.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:50:32 pm
I like the way your last WIP pic is positioned.   Having the character slightly off balance, to me, makes him look like he's about to take a step forward.  His legs in my opinion are fine as well.  What pistachio says is correct about remodeling them, however I think that they work just fine.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:40:53 pm
actually, pistachio, yours looks more inclined to fall over, because he's got more body weight beyond the reaches of his feet than the first one

but it's got a more dynamic silhouette than the first one so check it out anyway!
' _ '

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:45:46 pm
I think both of them look very good.  I agree with Pistachio that the posing for both of them could be altered to be more compelling, but the draftsmanship is very nice.  The dithering looks good, but would make animating either of them slightly less fun than a root canal.
interstellartortoise.com

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:48 pm
I like the way your last WIP pic is positioned.   Having the character slightly off balance, to me, makes him look like he's about to take a step forward.

Hmm... How do I... What can... Hrtmlblfn...

:-\

...Oh. Maybe it's the feet then. Or the lighting. Actually the frame is alright, but what you built around the frame is probably what makes his knee look slightly broken, at least mis-jointed. The lower leg just seems to be rotated a little off to the right side. Then again, the other way, this would be technically impossible... Maybe try taking on the pose yourself with the help of a mirror to see if it is possible? I'll see what I can do with another edit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:15:52 pm by pistachio »

Offline Hawk

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 05:45:26 pm
Hahhaah I see my works are kind of "like it or leave it"...
I'd like to thank your attention, too  ;D

The second PA was meant to be in a fighting stance, but I guess the leg IS a bit off.

I'll post a new version soon, I'd just like to ask, what do you guys think of its arm? Tried to do some reflection on a metal arm, I kind of like the result but I am not so sure if it' ok.

What do you think?  ???