AuthorTopic: Cartoony? give me a break  (Read 12465 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Cartoony? give me a break

Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 09:15:42 am
Answering that question should be easy. Mostly, I think it's because the majority of everything we do, is realistic. I mean, we obviously life in the real life. Most everything we see on TV was made using real life people and objects. Most things that don't, are intended for a younger audience, or are very stylized in themselves. It's natural to transfer that into the game world as well. Besides, it's always been harder to make something super-realistic rather than stylized, and everyone likes a challenge.

People strive for realism because we like things to be real. If nothing else, it at least helps a lot with the immersion.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 08:57:02 pm
You have to know realism before you can make abstractions.
Completely agreed.

As for why we go for realism, It's because realism is perfection, and it is in our nature to strive for perfection. Would we as humans really be so efficient if we were just stick people, or would the world look so beautiful if it was pillowshaded? Would our planet be so navigatable if it were made like "Rez," and would certain actions be possible if we were built like the people of Katamari Damacy? No, the world works because it is stylized into a state which we call realistic, and since the world cannot work in any other style, it is perfect.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 12:15:20 am

As for why we go for realism, It's because realism is perfection, and it is in our nature to strive for perfection. Would we as humans really be so efficient if we were just stick people, or would the world look so beautiful if it was pillowshaded? Would our planet be so navigatable if it were made like "Rez," and would certain actions be possible if we were built like the people of Katamari Damacy? No, the world works because it is stylized into a state which we call realistic, and since the world cannot work in any other style, it is perfect.
heh,
If anything were different in the reality, the difference would not be seen as un-normal but rather expected.
Whatever is, is natural in it's existence, and the perception and reactions to it would be normal with their unique conditions.
Also, if one fantacizes of a specific change in reality, it would be realistic to think about how one change would change other things aswell because if this isn't taken into consideration, the aspects of change itself are also changed and well, things get pretty messed up after that I'd think.
o_O

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 02:23:35 am
actually i have to disagree; while i think that skill can come only from perception and observation, i think that we strive for style because reality can totally suck.  people like style because if they wanted to see something real, they wouldnt be sitting down looking at art :P

just to cover my ass, i also appreciate naturalism as the most honest of art forms, and also one of the most difficult to master, as it requires making dumb old reality look good ^^
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 04:46:25 am
actually i have to disagree; while i think that skill can come only from perception and observation, i think that we strive for style because reality can totally suck.  people like style because if they wanted to see something real, they wouldnt be sitting down looking at art :P

Good point.  Also, I think artists began to develop style more consciously once we developed photographs.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 05:47:09 am
True, but I don't think reality sucks. Sometimes life sucks, but reality has seemed pretty sweet to me for the most of my life. Reality is just so commonplace that once we escape from the childish, "I've never seen that before" stage of life, reality quickly becomes boring. So it's the boredom that drives us - actually, I should say me - to seek style. But then I always come back to Reality to see if I can look at something so closely that I say "I've never seen that before" and try to get that realistic detail into my art. When that becomes commonplace once more, I return to style, sometimes incorporating my newly-gained insight. But still, when I'm not bored with reality, I will always try to achieve the most perfect representation of reality that I can.

heh,
If anything were different in the reality, the difference would not be seen as un-normal but rather expected.
Whatever is, is natural in it's existence, and the perception and reactions to it would be normal with their unique conditions.
Also, if one fantacizes of a specific change in reality, it would be realistic to think about how one change would change other things aswell because if this isn't taken into consideration, the aspects of change itself are also changed and well, things get pretty messed up after that I'd think.
o_O

Wow. I see whatcha mean. Man, my head's starting to throb.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 08:41:54 pm
the bitch of it is that sometimes the same style becomes so instantly recognizeable that even boring old reality starts to look good (for the last time, there is no such thing as 'your own super-sayan,' and when people are embarassed, they dont actually get little diagonal lines over their eyes, so people should just stop drawing them)

thats not directed at anybody here, but jsut a little rant

and stop using chrono trigger and sd3 edits!  if you must edit, choose something new!

now im actually done
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 11:18:48 am
Jesus christ.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 01:01:37 am
Superstar.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 02:22:21 pm
I wouldn't go as far as saying pixel art started off cartoony. I'd go along the lines of 'unrefined'. Back then pixel art was pretty much new with the age of computers, and everyone had to start out learning just as we do today... except there weren't artists before them to guide them along like we have today. I didn't read much of it, I think he really dragged it out more than it should be.