AuthorTopic: Goblin Creature, CC needed and appreiciated!  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Shred

• View Profile

Goblin Creature, CC needed and appreiciated!

on: May 08, 2006, 08:43:22 pm

Hi, Im new to posting here but I've been lurking for quite some time now. I really don't like this peice, its probably the first pixel art peice I've done which I am not at all happy with. (Not saying they were particularly good, but I was pleased with them none-the-less.)
Was greatly inspired by someones avatar on here, forgotten who, sorry.  :-[
I can see there are many things wrong with it, too many colours, too flat, the angle and shading of the axe etc, but I can't seem to be able to fix any of it. The one thing am I happy with is the face and the expression.

Cheers, Shred.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Goblin Creature, CC needed and appreiciated!

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:47:32 pm
O no! t3h grad13nt!!!1!
Erm, ahem. Not very bad at all for a first piece. The face is good.
The crits:
Firstly, the lines. The lineart isn't too bad, but the legs look oddly bent. You might want to give them actual knees rather than have them just curve. Have them be like > instead of ). There's also a rather awkward poppouttage by his right armpit. The axe could use some work, and the near arm has an odd bulge inward right at his head. The same arm (arg!) lacks an elbow. Like the legs, it just bends. The belt could use a bit more curves.

Secondly the colors. Please tell me that you didn't use all those colors in that palette.  :-X. You can easily reduce those to maybe less than 16 by using the same color in multiple areas and for multiple textures and adding a bit of hue shift like you have on the far pant leg. Up the contrast.

Thirdly the shading. You've got pointless gradients galore, such as on the pants, the axe-head, the shirt...you get the idea. It looks like you tried giving him a lightsource (to the left side of the pic) but you went about it all wrong. Don't just lighten things that get close to the designated lightsource. You have to take a lightsource and then figure out where the light would hit and where it would be blocked out by other objects. When I first looked at this I thought he had high shoulders and small arms (=_=') This could be fixed by changing the forearm and the upper-arm to different lightnesses rather than the single tone you have now. As I said, I like the face, but make sure you keep its lighting consistent with the rest of the image. Also, reckoning back to colors, increase its contrast. Great expression but it's hard to make out.

Hope this helps,
Good job,
Keep up the work,
[encourage].

Oh, and Hi.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:04:32 am
Welcome to teh community. :) (or should I say postin' in teh community?)

Anyways, I think the largest problem is Contrast contrast contrast. Your shading is very hard to distinguish due to contrast. Details cannot be made out because of the sparce contrast. Contrast, my friend, is very VERY VERY important. (As a pixel artist, I've once had this problem as well...)

So pull the luminosity of the colors farther away from other colors. Much farther.
You mentioned color conservation. You don't need separate color ramps for every single different color. Any color that is reaally close together: join them together, unite them as one. If there would be information loss due to this (e.g. loss of texture or something), then pull them apart with Contrast. Unite close-to-blacks and close-to-whites.

Those are the largest problems I see. Once the contrast is fixed, color conservation should come a bit easier, and after that, most other problems can be fixed relatively easier.

=======
Ay bloody... xion night posted before me... aww well. Ignore any repeats.

Offline Billeh

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:57:40 am
Hey there, welcome to teh forums.
I think most of the useful CC here has been said
I did an edit trying to get rid of some of the colours and increase contrast

Might give ya some help *shrug*

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 03:11:14 am
 The contrast is still low. You should make the light shade appear yellowish and shadows blueish with the good contrast together. Be sure to detail to size or it'll look like concept paintings. Especially for those high res images.  The shading is kinda messy. There are random dark pixels all over the body. Clean them up.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:13:45 am by Andy Tran »

Offline Billeh

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 03:31:13 am
Ah yes, i see what you mean, I'll edit my edit tommorrow xP.

Offline Shred

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 11:19:01 pm
Thanks for the CC everyone, it was very usefull, and I have tried to take it all into consideration.

Not very bad at all for a first piece.
  Its not my first :p Its like, my 10th.

but the legs look oddly bent.
I was trying to make it look like he was wearing baggy trousers, but obviously didnt do it very well...I've tried to make them bend better this time though.

When you say contrast, you mean like, the contrast between each of the shading colours yea?

I've started on improving it but obviously it isn't finished yet, just updated the line art and shading on the trousers (pants for you usa folks) and boots. Here it is so far, I'll probably finish it in the next few days if I have time.

(Trousers shading is unfinished by the way.)

Before:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:22:00 pm by Shred »