AuthorTopic: RPG girl  (Read 7846 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: RPG girl

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 12:28:58 am
Actually no, fair is fair and all things considered. My three asterisk points were general critique about your art, they weren't explaining my edit on the level where the style shift has anything to do. I can take the nose and lips off my edit and my critique still stands. Neater pixel art work, more focus on the volumetric aspect and a disuse of selout for other means of accenting linework. I don't want to press a non-issue, but what I did *was* critique to the best of my ability. If it's not helpful to you, I'm sorry. But don't discount it's significance as critique because it might boil down to 'start over' for this piece.

And you say eastern european and this begs the question... does she look eastern european in your original sketch and pixel piece? Or does she look like an anime girl?

This doesn't have to be locked at all. I'm sure since I couldn't be helpful somebody else will do a better job at critiquing your faults in this endeavour than me.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 01:35:10 am
adarias, if this was meant only to be observed at 1x zoom, then a think that you are basically making computer art with pixels this way for the lack of a program such as psp or photoshop. this may not be youre intentions, but pixelart imo is supposed to be pixel tight. with intention behind every pixel placed. if you want art that is only to be made at 1x zoom, there are different options for this then pixel art.

of course im not saying that this isnt pixelart, or whatever. or that you should quit and use a vector program of some sort.
this post probably wasnt very helpful, but meh.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 01:49:20 am
your points are well met but again, in retrospect, you are right in the things you said, and the fact is that this is not the place for this, because this is a pixel art community and what i've posted is an anime drawing. as far as the anime itself is conerned, its not the direction i would have it taken, but its the direction that it needs to go because that is the direction that the project has been directed and that is out of my hands.  You are right in your question, and the fact is that high cheek bones, narrow eyes, thin lips, and nearly snow-white skin are the only things about this particular illustration that make her northern european, and those arent much, but though it doesnt look like a real-life northern euorpean, it is clearly distinguishible from your edit, which by that same standard i suppose doesnt look like a real-life hispanic. 

it is my personal opinion that the fact that a critique boils down to throw it out destroys the purpose of the critique, which in my mind is to provide constructive feedback in a way that pertains to the actual piece.  to be frank, if you get through what you are saying and your only suggestion to improve the piece is to throw it out and start over, then you should not have made the suggestion under the pretense of assisting with the piece, you should simply have said to throw it out.  call a spade a spade, not a critique.

that being said, i do have a great deal of respect for you, and i do not wish this disagreement to create a permanent rift, so i would say, if not because this picture is not pixel-art, then in the interest of condeming this disagreement as unproductive this should be locked.  theres no reason for two people to continue feeling indignant over a drawing that doesnt warrant further discussion  in any event, i wont be posting in this thread anymore.

@ryumaru, no, you are right, it isnt pixelart.  i have photoshop and i could use it if i wanted, but i didnt.  but you are right in that this isnt pixel art, which is why this ought to be destroyed
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 05:00:52 am
you guys are awfully dramatic :P  i think its a solid piece that could easily have been in any number of PC games throughout my childhood.  i'm a bit of a noob still, but i do believe that selout has a place in most pixel art, however this piece doesn't really use selout as much as just plain outlining; softening the edge of the bathing suit/bra thing, especially the upper/inside edge, would help a lot i think.  she is awfully skinny too ;)  style is as style does, but she just doesn't look healthy!

the color mixing on the jacket is really beautiful, and something i am just beginning to contemplate in my own pixelart - i appreciate you posting this picture even though "it should be destroyed" - just because you have learned all there is to learn from it doesn't mean we all have!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 05:11:51 am
Did I miss something? Why isn't this pixel art? This is F'in beautiful, just like all the other stuff you do, Adarias...especially the update. The only thing that's buggin' my eye is the hand going through her hair...it looks backwards...and small.

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 09:00:46 am
Adarias you rock and this is lovely. I feel the stomach is overworked for the style, and I'm not keen on the shoes but its still beautiful, I especially like the blue in the hair. have you thought about maybe making her look < a bit? or maybe have the head pointing that way but the eyes looking at us, I just think that would feel a bit more natural.
The idea that adarias should be moved along to CG work just because he doesnt work to higher zoom levels is rediculous, not to mention fucking anal. I rate adarias a much better artist than most veterans here because he has a little thing called passion. I find it very dis-heartening that the soul-less robots here are so completely obsessed with  precision and technicality over aeshetic value and emotion.
I always found the term pixel art to be something of a contradiction in itself, I have to very much struggle to see it as 'art' which to me, as I've stated should have some fucking soul to it. It seems much more a craft, and browsing through peoples opinions of good "Non-Pixel Art" I must say I was very disapointed to see very few people here can see that. I really don't feel I fit in here, and although I've learnt a lot while here I can't see I'll be coming back as I really can't stand some of your attitudes.

There are of course some lovely users.
Sorry to rant in your thread Adarias.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 01:41:35 pm

Tried my hand at an edit... I only messed around with the face, but I hope it's helpful.
I agree with Helm that your palette is a pain to work with, and I pretty much second the majority of his crits.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:50:58 pm by Faceless »