AuthorTopic: Zombie RPG Mockup Character Designs/Etc...  (Read 5659 times)

Offline 8BitSkinny

• View Profile
    • 8BitSkinny

Zombie RPG Mockup Character Designs/Etc...

on: May 01, 2011, 12:01:14 pm
Hello everyone,

This just happens to be my first post here at Way of The Pixel, and I just wanted to say Hello. I've very pleased to be a part of the community, and hope to get some good opinions and feedback on the work I do. I'm a free lance Pixel Artist (Still Fresh), and I'm looking to help fellow members with gaming projects when they arise (Always nice to see your work in action). My name's Shane Allen Schwarzman and you can find my portfolio at http://www.8bitskinny.com, and my pixel poster images at http://www.8bitskinny.tumblr.com.

Anyway let's get on topic, I've been wanting to do mockups for games for awhile now so I decided lets go with the most popular topic at the current time Zombies! The image below is the mockup of the main character for the game.

I'm still working on the frames, while breathing more life into the characters movement.

I will be posting additional images throughout this project.
Free Lance Pixel Artist - Contact me @ ShaneSchwarzman@gmail.com

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Zombie RPG Mockup Character Designs/Etc...

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:28:25 pm
What's he doing, anyway? Flailing his limbs around awkwardly? No offense, but I think that's what he's trying to do. If you're wanting him to walk it certainly doesn't look like it. But I think what you need to focus on mainly is the sprite itself, or namely the shading and palette of the sprite. Actually, as of right now the shoulders seem pretty broad. Unless he's a football player I'd suggest toning this down.

Can you post a 1x of the sprite? I'd like to make an edit but (INCOMING EXCUSE) Paint keeps fudging it up every time I try to downscale it. Until then I'll try copying the lines down or something.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:04:26 pm
Don't forget that his shirt body and head would move if he's walking, especially if he's doing it as spastically as you have him doing it :).

Offline 8BitSkinny

• View Profile
    • 8BitSkinny

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:22:48 pm
Alright, here's the 1x version. Along with a new character named Trish.

Thanks for the feedback by the way. I'm going to work on those changes when I get off work.

Offline 8BitSkinny

• View Profile
    • 8BitSkinny

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:43:02 am
So I did as suggested, and worked on the troubled problems. I also added a new character the Zombie!

Offline 8BitSkinny

• View Profile
    • 8BitSkinny

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:34:26 am
Here's a quick mock-up image of the game.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:36:39 am
Neither of the 1x images show up for me...  :(

You said you worked on the troubled problems? Well they're still there, actually. Or it just seems like it. I should have gone into detail earlier. Keep in mind, you may be hearing some terms that are new to you. Don't worry, I'll explain.

First off, outlines are persistent everywhere. Everywhere. It's painful. But don't get rid of them just yet!

When I said there was a problem with the palette, I was addressing several problems at once, actually. Dark colors aren't dark enough--the shift from light to dark is actually not very noticeable overall (to me, at least)--and you have a lot of similar colors that, seeing how similar they are, could be gotten rid of. And anyway it's just a straight ramp from light to dark. No hue variation as far as I can tell. And considering this is a zombie game you could make things a bit darker, having most colors cold--at least the darks--or somewhere around there. I don't know. It depends on the type of atmosphere you want to give off. I'm presuming this is going to be somewhat humorous? Seems that way what with the caricatured players. And aforementioned palette.

You also have a poorly defined light-source. Seems to be coming from the left on the guy's hat, from the right on the zombie's brains, from all directions on that woman's "hair". When the light-source is defined, albeit poorly, shapes seem to be pretty flat.

All I can give for now. There's certainly more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:59:57 pm by pistachio »

Offline 8BitSkinny

• View Profile
    • 8BitSkinny

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08:24 pm
Sorry about the broken links. These are the original 1x with some small tweeks to them.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:20:24 pm by 8BitSkinny »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:18:13 pm
Well, sorry for the wait, but here's an edit of the zombie sprite using some of the advice I listed, but there's probably more I put in without noticing.

Observe.

[Edit]

Well let me see what I've done actually.

• Got rid of/broke some outlines. Includes outlines on head, hands, suit, and feet

• Added more contrast.

• Like I suggested, made darker colors cold.
 • Added an extra highlight color on skin tone that is warm. AKA, hue-shifting.

• Redid shading. Things seem very flat as they are now.

• Redrew hands and feet.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:44:21 am by pistachio »

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 03:44:25 am
That female character looks like he's bending over because she's missing her belly area, looks like some messed up foreshortening.

Her arms could also use some work.  Right now it looks like someone attached a pair of legs to her shoulders.  I can clearly make out knees, calves and feet.  And they're too short.  A normal person should have arms just long enough to touch their own crotch without bending over.