AuthorTopic: Rock tiles  (Read 2707 times)

Offline davis123

• View Profile

Rock tiles

on: April 29, 2011, 10:35:35 pm

Hello, I just made an account here at these forums after looking through them for a few days.

This is my first pixel art I have posted at any website at all, so yeah.
I've been learning to pixel art for a few weeks, although I havent gotten vary much time to work at it. I just read some tutorials.

These are three 32x32 images. I made three to try and get variation in my game, so it doesnt look too tiled. Only 4 colors are used. I am going for a spooky look, like all dark and creepy. So, what do you think?

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Rock tiles

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:03:21 am
Hello,

I like these, they have this vintage Castlevania vibe to them :) Played around with the palette a bit:

Are the rocks themselves green or are they just illuminated by green light? If they're illuminated then highlighted areas get the starkest, most saturated green, the midtones less and the shadows less still while shifting towards a colder, more blue color.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:16:30 am
Definitely lighten that dark green. Right now it just blends into the black; looks like black.

Offline davis123

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 02:31:21 pm
Thanks, actually I don't know what I was thinking when I made them green. It's like in a cave or something, so there really is no light source. Maybe just some light from the entrance. I was looking at the pixel art tutorial "So you want to be a pixel artist?" and when they talk about tiles like these, it said make the tiles darker. either that or I don't understand it.

The light green pixels are supposed to give it "depth" or something, so I don't really know what to do there. I want the tiles to have a mossy look, like it's old. Any suggestions?

Also, I was thinking about putting these for free on opengameart.org so other people could use them. But not until I get it right. This is just to sort of learn pixel art.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:36:07 pm by davis123 »