AuthorTopic: First try at pixeling  (Read 4093 times)

Offline oalexis

• View Profile

First try at pixeling

on: April 27, 2011, 11:29:35 pm
Hello all  :),

I'm quite new to pixel art, but have been doing traditional art, and other digital art for a while now.  This is my first real attempt at pixeling something so I'd like to know what can be improved upon.  Its based on a reference picture taken at a park near my house and it uses 12 colours including transparency.  Best viewed at 2x

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:31:12 pm by oalexis »

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Re: First try at pixeling

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:44:06 am
I personally think its fantastic. Could benefit from more colour variation.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:03:32 am
I really like it, it has a lot of character.  When I first looked at it the shape seemed wrong, but when you mentioned park it made sense.  It looks like it was aggressively pruned, but not recently

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:58:59 am
I love it. The shape kinda looks like the bushes at the intersections here in Norway. One improvement I see is that there seems to have branches ONLY coming out of it's sides at the bottom of the tree, then branches going all around. Another one is that there seems to be a "jump" in shade when you get to the really dark shadow on the bottom of the tree.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:18:00 pm
This is actually decent for your first try. But I'm not going to be like everyone else and say it's almost perfect. Palette is way out of whack. Okay, let me be more specific--the contrast from light to dark seems a lot higher on the clusters of leaves than on the trunk, and while I presume this is for means of preserving texture, texture could be more defined by drawing individual leaves or at least suggesting them. Hmm, that didn't seem very helpful...

...Ever seen this thread? I feel it might help you.

Offline oalexis

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:18 pm
Thanks everyone, I'll see what I can do regarding the colours.  As for the texture on the "leaves" this is actually a type of cedar and doesn't really have leaves, so i wasn't sure how to define them like the pictures in the thread pistachio posted

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:00:54 pm
Thanks everyone, I'll see what I can do regarding the colours.  As for the texture on the "leaves" this is actually a type of cedar and doesn't really have leaves, so i wasn't sure how to define them like the pictures in the thread pistachio posted

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Even if it's supposed to be realistic, if the leaves are that small it's going to be tough reproducing them in pixel form then having them be recognized as leaves. Usually, like here, you get an ugly noisy texture. So having them be a little larger than they normally would be, for the sake of having them look like leaves, is alright. Post by JJ Naas further down the thread:

Doing realistic isometric pixel trees as game hart is a little bit difficult because first of all if they were meant to be really realistic, like this, then you wouldn't be albe to see individual leaves or almost any of the trunk (from a isometric perspective). However, using bonsai trees as a reference for game art purposes might be more helpful than using photos of real trees. With bonsai trees you get the cuteness, simpleness, individual leaves and often an isometric angle as well.

Even if your tree's not really isometric, it's still helpful considering you're still doing trees.

But the main reason I posted the thread is because you seem to be lighting up individual clusters of leaves, and not really focusing on the actual form as a whole.

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:35:36 pm
I dig it.  Nice work.
interstellartortoise.com

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile