AuthorTopic: Rock tiles, Over detailed?  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Ovyx

• View Profile

Rock tiles, Over detailed?

on: April 24, 2011, 07:03:49 am
I have this terrible habit of over detailing pixel art, and I'm afraid my sidescroller rock platform (which is in very early WIP stage) Is suffering from it. I simply cannot move on, I keep thinking that I should scratch it for a more simply shaded and texturized style, but I feel I should get a opnion before doing so. So, any opnions?

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Re: Rock tiles, Over detailed?

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:12:24 am
It looks cool, but it sure as hell doesn't look like it belongs in a platformer. I'd suggest blocking out your lighting before going into such detail and forcing yourself to work at a much smaller scale to get into the habit of abstracting your detail.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:30:49 am
I see nothing wrong with going for that detailed style it's more the angle you have it at. It's looking very 30 degree and if this is a side-scroller platformer it seems unsafe for the player to be running across such a steep angle. The top/flat of your rorchs need to be much thinner ellipses so more of a 15 degree angle.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:56:34 pm
It's not overdetailed...but you focus too much on detailing, it has many many mistakes in terms of simple shading ;)... you try to make it correct and lose control of the absolute form...you should probably, as you said, block them out first... the pure form, try it with 2-3 colors
white, gray and black :) or so
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Ovyx

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:00:58 am
Hmm, I guess I should block them out before detailing.. I really need to improve my methods.  :-[

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:45:05 pm
It would probably be best to rough out a scene with each of the layers(foreground, back ground, etc) before going into the details. I think you'd find this a better workflow. It's hard to say if something is overdetailed without knowing how it's supposed to fit into a scene.  I find perception of detail is relative to the level of detail around the object  and the layer it belongs to.

Offline Ovyx

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:21:21 am
Good Idea, any software suggestions for animating? Any that use layers, I mean.

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:16 am
Good Idea, any software suggestions for animating? Any that use layers, I mean.
Photoshop =p
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 05:36:17 am
Frankly, Photoshop is sh*t for pixelling. 850 dollar-price tag for functionality you don't need. No animation capabilities as far as I know, either.

Graphicsgale is really good, and free too. I hear Promotion is great but I could never get used to the interface.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:20:59 am
People hate on Photoshop but then praise Paint. Photoshop has all of Paint's tools. Plus it has great color altering adjustment capabilities for fine-tuning palettes. If you don't need the 3D tools, just don't use them. Certainly don't buy PS for pixelling (Thomas Knoll  still doesn't know what pixel art is), though.

Anyone that uses Photoshop for pixelling needs to be ready to do almost everything from scratch. I use PS for pixel art, and everything else, and we have a great time together. Just me and PS. Together. Happy.