AuthorTopic: Tiles, crit please.  (Read 8167 times)

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Tiles, crit please.

on: April 23, 2011, 08:18:41 pm
Some tiles I've been working on.  1930s city dock setting.
Criticism + Suggestions Please!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:21:23 pm by Lucas »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Tiles, crit please.

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:30:22 am
Contrast on the bricks is too low compared to the planks. At first I thought it was some sort of carpet, that's how low it was.

Hue-shifting on the bricks seems to go from warm to cold as it gets darker, although the whole thing consists of cold, muted colors (grayish pink and gray to grayish purple) as a whole. Likewise, on the planks it gets warmer as it gets darker, while the tiles are comparably warm and contrasting (orange-brown to dark orange-brown to black) and even have a border/black outline, a thing that should be either gotten rid of, or added to the brick wall.

This makes the tiles seem to clash color-wise. Judging by tiles on the top, these two tiles will be layered on top each other and the clash becomes immediately even more apparent.

Other than that the bricks on the brick wall lack any sort of shading or definition. After a closer look they seem to be simply outlined. Pegs supporting the dock also seem to lack a shadow cast by the dock above them.

Excuse me for tossing around so much terminology, I tend to do that. Especially today.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:38:12 am by pistachio »

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:39:47 pm
Great, thanks for your reply.
I agree the biggest problem with the tiles was the clash between the brick and the wood.  I'll attempt to correct this soon.

If anyone else can offer their insight it would be greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind that I'm not an art major; pixel art is just a hobby.  In other words, the most straight forward answers will be the best. 

When I get more free time, starting next week, I plan to start developing this tile set further.
I'll be using this thread to post updates and corrections based on your input.

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:53 am
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:46:31 am by Lucas »

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:24:15 am

Small update.  

Again if anyone has anything to say, please say it.

Larger updates to come soon.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:41:16 am by Lucas »

Offline Puppet

• Nom, I'm a Panda.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:22:46 am
Have you seen bricks go up on a building?
I personally haven't, I think they should go horizontal (I think that's the word for going across) and for your shadow, shadow on the ledges arn't just all one length, dependant on the light source it can be completely different.
Do you have a reference to work with? If not it'd be a good idea to do so.
I think your blanks of wood are using to much colour, stick to like 3. Small and simple palette yet effective in use.
I'm Just a Panda In a Panda Eat Panda World. Panda, Panda.

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:43:12 pm
You should make some more boardwalk tiles with some nails and broken planks so it doesn't look like an un-glazed candy cane.

I also read in a guide that it helps to make things like support columns in to two tiles.  By having half the column on one tile and half on another, you can make it appear to be off sync from the other tiles on the grid.

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:52:50 pm
Insert Quote
Have you seen bricks go up on a building?
I personally haven't, I think they should go horizonta

-Just to clear this up, the tiles that you refer to as, "Bricks that go up on a building" are actually a cobble stone road, and the gray tiles just above this are sidewalk tiles.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:42:13 pm
Ok ok, so you got some tiles going on here, but man they're rather boring aren't they? So plastic clean. No character, quite plain.

I suggest having a mockup going so you can see how these tiles look in the same environment, how they work together, etc.

Your cobblestones road looks like vertical red bricks. Why not go a more typical cobblestone-ish route. With such a tiny resolution, as is the case with most all PA, I recommend employing more common and recognizable textures/motifs.

Offline Puppet

• Nom, I'm a Panda.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:06 pm
Terribly Sorry  :'( I couldn't tell because in your first post it looks like bricks for a building.
When creating a side walk chose a better color palette to help define cracks.
When doing the side walk and such have a refence picture to help you out instead of doing it off the mind. It helps honestly.
I'm Just a Panda In a Panda Eat Panda World. Panda, Panda.