AuthorTopic: Brawler style portraits  (Read 3645 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Brawler style portraits

on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:23 am
Hello,

I tried doing some (relatively) lo-res pixel portraits as an exercise. Both have a 60x60 resolution with 10 color including background for the first and 12 for the second. Crits appreciated, the second portrait looks a bit weird to me but I can't pinpoint the reason, so if anyone can spot what's wrong with it then that would be great :)

Offline Tenshi

• Seraphic Radiance
    • View Profile
    • Tenshi Animetion

Re: Brawler style portraits

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:10 pm
They both look really good to me, but I think what may be a little strange is her ear. I mean maybe it's just the angle of the head, but that's what seems a bit strange to me.
Jaeda / Jade

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:30 pm
Her ear is too far up the head. The top of the ear should be level with the eyes, which you have to compensate for seeing as the head is tilted and the eyes are not on a horizontal line.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:12:37 am
The ear is a bit high, but I think the real problem is the nose/mouth.

Generally the mouth line is parallel to the eye line.  Here the eyes tilt but the mouth is horizontal.  But you could get away with it if you fix the nose.

A face at level 3/4 view the nose sticks out.
When a head tilts towards you in 3/4 view, the nose still sticks out, even if the chin is down a bit.
A straight vertical nose usually only shows up when the head tilts away from you, and the chin is down (standard model pose #14)

Compare the angle of the eyes to the angle of the nose.  Try out the angles in a mirror.

Maybe something like this (quick edit):

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:37 am

Thanks all, appreciate it :) I fixed the ear and gave her a nose job (ahahah..) along with some small retouching of the other guy's portrait.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:10:22 am

And a final update where I adjusted the palettes to make the hues more interesting. I think I'll call em done and move on to new things before I give in to my tweaking urges too much :P Thanks again for the help :)