AuthorTopic: Iji standing sprite  (Read 8869 times)

Offline orange08

• View Profile

Iji standing sprite

on: April 19, 2011, 01:27:45 pm
This is a sprite I drew for an Iji Sequel (fangame) game. Before I start animating it, I want to make sure everything is perfect.
Don't pay much attention to the shading since the game is probably going to have dynamic shadows.

I mostly need to know if the form looks good enough and stuff.. the proportions, are they good enough?  :)
Tried out some new things:

Newest edit:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:43:39 pm by orange08 »

Offline ColonelMustache

• View Profile

Re: Iji standing sprite

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:10:20 am
Looks pretty close to the original I'd say. The one where where shes facing away, the foreshortening isn't quite working on the left arm. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks a little stumpy. Also the little glimpse of face looks like it could come down a bit. The pockets look a little strange like they are inside out. Nice work.

Offline orange08

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:03:32 pm
Looks pretty close to the original I'd say. The one where where shes facing away, the foreshortening isn't quite working on the left arm. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks a little stumpy. Also the little glimpse of face looks like it could come down a bit. The pockets look a little strange like they are inside out. Nice work.
Thanks for the reply. =)
Anybody else ??? I need more opinions before I start animating.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:20:38 pm
In the front view, the hair should be visible in both sides of the face (near the neck, at least).
Be aware that Daniel Remar already made some pixel approximations when he rendered Iji as a sprite from his 3D model (which wasn't necessarily super-detailed), in order to get a good result from the (mostly) flat-color shapes, and at this size a pixel more or less does a lot of difference in body proportions. In your own pixelling, attempting a higher detail, you'll have to often 'betray' the original pixelwork, choosing one more pixel there, one less here.
A specific example of something you'll have to be careful : Don't use the frontier between black pants and green shirt as an exact indicationof Iji's waist. See this fan piece for example: http://shaktool.deviantart.com/art/Iji-96973055
Note the hourglass shape of the back  ><  : Shaktool's reading of Iji sprite is that her shirt is above and covers the top of her pants.
You should take it into account to get a nice leg/torso proportion, and keep it consistent in all animations.

Offline orange08

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:36 pm
Update.
Made her shirt hang over a bit.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:58:24 pm
Her chest/arms seem odd... i just cant figure out how to fix it in an edit  :-\

Offline orange08

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:40:37 pm
Was messing around... made up a new sprite. Check the first post and tell me what you think.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:57:41 pm
Proportions are okay, but there are other problems to be heeded. I.E... Not to be discouraging, but the limbs really look like noodle limbs of some sort with clothes to disguise them, but the legs are still pretty obvious. You may want to pull up reference. And dynamic shadows, eh? Frankly, as I imagine it, I don't think any level of technology being applied to a 2-D sprite is going to cover up some flat shading. Bad palette, maybe. But I recommend giving the shading a redo, if you have the skill to make it look any nicer. If I'm not lazy after all the doodling I've done, I'll make an edit to help you.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:34:35 pm by pistachio »

Offline orange08

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:46:09 pm
Mmm... well, I'm generally not an expert at pixel art. I like to think I can animate well though.
I hope you can find the time to fix the sprite to whatever you think is best  :)

Offline Medevenx

• View Profile
    • Burke-Works

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:26:38 am
First work on a background that is less saturated. Secondly, detail. The eyes are for chibi sprites, but you don't have a very tiny sprite so give it better eyes.