AuthorTopic: Plague Doctor [WIP]  (Read 5228 times)

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Plague Doctor [WIP]

on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:15 pm
I've updated this with some substantial line art.
Anatomy isn't my strong suit; how does this look so far?

Latest edit

Reference pic: http://i.imgur.com/Cpplu.jpg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:39:08 am by goosemonger »

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Re: Plague Doctor [WIP]

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:15 am
Sorry to bump but I didn't want to make a whole new thread. :-[

Offline Hawk

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:32:15 pm
From my limited knowledge, I think this is looking good o.o

If you were looking for a darker feel, I'd guess to just curve his shoulders forward a little. That would cast shadows more on the rest of his body, I think.
And, in his hand, it is a lamp, right? If so, it is too small.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:12:05 pm
Just a quick edit.  I'm not an anatomy expert but this is how I would've sized it according to an 8 head proportion.

Offline Hawk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45:32 pm
Well, I've tried to do an edit (first time!).

He is taller, like RetroRob mentioned, and fixed a little his feet.
Lately, I tried to put the shadows caused by the lamp, sorry if that's too far.

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 03:53:13 am
Thanks! I didn't realise how short he was until it was pointed out. The lamp is just a placeholder which is why it's so small.
Your edit is great, Hawk. I knew it looked much too stiff and uninteresting, what you did with the shoulder is perfect for what I wanted.

Can't wait to start colouring this guy in, I think he should turn out really well.

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:37:39 am
I haven't had much time the past couple of weeks but I finally got some decent work done on the doc.
I've mostly coloured him in and made some other adjustments. There's still a lot to be done like highlights, folds in the clothing, more shading and changing the outline to sel-out.
Just want to see what people think so far.

Is there too much dithering? I quite like Hawk's rough dithering on the light (not sure if that was on purpose or not) but is it too much where I've applie it to the robe as well?

Thanks.

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 03:13:27 am
Nice, I am really starting to like it.
You should add some creases on the robe.
(Though he is pretty much standing with a straight back you can add some at the joints, like elbows)

Offline Grinner

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 05:46:38 am
The last edit is looking vibrant with the light added, but the dithering is too obvious, and out of place. Try to take the billowyness of the robe into account a bit more, I expect it to hang in a 'U' shape from his arm pits, and roll over his belt a bit (it looks rather self supporting right now).

The beak of the mask curves to extremely, I know plague doctor masks tend to have this droop, but because of its position it seems to 'ride' the shoulder of the robe, whereas I think it would look better if its angle conflicted a bit more. I also think the straight and pointed plague doctor masks look more appealing.

I don't think you're fully taking into account how the light from the lantern falls. The ring caused by the lantern is much to small for it to be believable. The light given from oil/kerosene lanterns is usually dim, but not that dim. Try also making the ground directly beneath the lantern darker; the light should cause a heavy shadow. Take this into account for the top of the lantern, too.

This is a nice start you have here. Strong contrast and shadows will really give this piece life, or should I say; 'death' :3 .