AuthorTopic: Going small  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Slainte

• View Profile

Going small

on: April 29, 2006, 06:22:16 pm
Well... small pixels have always been my major focus... just a small piece I worked some minutes ago... I have some troub to fix those feet :/ detail on them makes them stand out too much and look somewhat big, comments and suggs welcome ;)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: Going small

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:25:17 pm
speculars could help form out her dress, or at least mroe contrast.

She's way too small to ahve those eyes, they're lost, perhaps a speck of a really light color or two to represent cheeks?

Great to see you back here man, whatever happene dto those little iso sprites of yours?

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 08:30:44 pm
Wow, that's definitely small :D I really like this, the overall form; it's very well defined for such a small sprite.
I hope you don't mind people doing edits, 'cause I did a small one:

The only thing I really changed here was the palette, upping the contrast and tweaking the colours just a bit. At such a small scale, low contrast can really blow the details.
I managed to reduce the colour count, too. There were quite a few skintones that I couldn't see being used, even at 8x zoom. I also used some the colours from the dress elsewhere (like in the skin, and I think on some of the aa on the hair).

Think that's about all I got. I'm not used to working in such a small space. Like I said, it's looking good, so keep at it ;D

Offline Slainte

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 08:42:20 pm
:) well thnx for the comments and the wellcome back... In fact the big load of skin tones come from the original pieces I worked...

I did those from an old doll-like edit I worked somewhere 'round a year ago from someone I cannot remember :P  After that and as i am having in mind a 1940 like micro-game (128x128 res to fit major mobile platforms, just working it out to practice on my j2me coding as it's ages since i last had to work on that platform and I'd be needing my skills on it soon for my work) I thought it nice to move the girl into a piano-bar like singer, the idea behind it is to build an inter-mission pilot's bar used also for the "story-mode" play course.

Your edit is great and it gives me a big load of ideas on color schemes to use as the purples give it a retro taint I really love

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 07:44:07 pm
Hey Slainte it's good to see you back... I dunno if you remember me, I posted as varken then, I was in your small pixels group, you know, when we all joined those groups that ended up never doing anything.

I made an edit showing how what direction I'd take this.

Tremulants makes a good point with his palette edit (i did the same to a lesser degree) You didn't have any hue shifting in the red, which kept it uninteresting. 

Also I don't think you should selout everything like you're doing... at this size selout especially clutter up a piece and it gets in the way of using lighting to suggest shape.  Which is your biggest problem, I think.  Instead of selout use darker colors to suggest halfpixels and things like that... at such small sizes it's more important to imply thing than draw them.

Offline Slainte

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:16:44 pm
Hi there, i remember you :)

Thnx for the points... it's about a year since I last had my hands on pixels... I must get back to it and i hope this time I will polish my tech a bit :P (in fact never had the nerve and time to tamming the real tech... all I've done on pixels come from test and visual effect, not color theory and real tech :P)  Not so bad for coder art, isn't it?

I am having my hands into a mockup for this micro-sprites :) keep an eye on the thread

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 08:43:02 pm
Another edit (working off Darien's), I concentrated my efforts on making a smooth feminine form a bit more evident, and making the volumes read easier.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 01:22:56 am
i would make the eyes a lighter color so that they appear smaller