AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sakura sprite  (Read 11860 times)

Offline Dessa

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sakura sprite

Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 08:38:59 am
The bit between her legs in the "facing us" shot is a little ambigious.  Like It's not clear what that green dot is supposed to be.
I'm pretty sure that's the back flap of her skirt, cast under shadow.

Unless you're talking about something else.

Oh, I know what it is.  I just dont think it reads well.  It looks like a big pixel.  Is this an example of banding?

Offline Tenshi

• Seraphic Radiance
    • View Profile
    • Tenshi Animetion

Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:25 pm
Banding is more the use of pixels next to one another in a sort of gradient fashion, I believe. That right there isn't an example of banding, but there are a few bits of banding left in the image. I couldn't remove all of them without losing shape.
Jaeda / Jade

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 07:17:49 pm
It seems strange that something as loose as a loincloth would be giving her a wedgie.

Offline Tenshi

• Seraphic Radiance
    • View Profile
    • Tenshi Animetion

Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 09:17:39 pm
It seems strange that something as loose as a loincloth would be giving her a wedgie.
Hmm... I can try and adjust that, it's supposed to look as though there're two pieces of fabric there (a longer ribbon) and I tried to show division without using banding. It'll make more sense when the sprite is animated, but with the still, I guess I can see how it does look like a wedgie.
Jaeda / Jade

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 06:07:29 am

It's not a wedgie she just has a nice round butt and the fabric that is laying on top of it is very thin and conforming to it's shape.  That's how I imagine it...

A few things about the sprite. 

1.Try really hard to make sure there aren't any blatant straight pixels as that tends to flatten the depth you are going for.  Specifically I'm talking about her shoe straps that are on the calves.  Try and wrap the form around the calves.  Some things can be straight but not straight across a rounded form.  I base this piece advice off of what you would do if you were drawing this on paper.

2. The color for the skin is too pinkish.  I think it is anyway.  I'm pretty sure my monitor is properly calibrated.  Anyway I think you should move a little bit away from the red hue.

3.  You are nuts for having 2 different horizontal directions.  I wish you the best of luck :D  Although I suppose that doesn't have to be true for the walk or anything else.

4. I really like her pose and her facial "Style"  I like that she has a nose and a mouth and she also has a nose in the profile shots.  Good stuff!

Oh one last thing.  Please please please do something about your pallet.  It's painful to look at(just talking about the pallet grid)

Love it so far!  Keep it up!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:35:35 am by Mike »

Offline Tenshi

• Seraphic Radiance
    • View Profile
    • Tenshi Animetion

Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 07:57:26 pm
Thank you for the response, Mike. I apologize for the delay in responding.

I will try to address #1. I noted they were straight when coloring it but given the size of the sprite, I was a bit concerned about them rolling too high or low.

I have two monitors with different calibration settings, and I can see what you mean. On one she does appear a bit redder. I will take a look at that and see if I can find a happy medium. A bit of red is ideal since her hair is a rather large object and it is red, but not overwhelmingly so. Thanks for noting that (I didn't check it on the other monitor when I was coloring it).

Hee hee. Yeah, there is that, but if anything, it reduces CPU cycles on flipping sprites... and some sprites only have an item or so on one side so flipping would look weird. But I start by flipping it, so when there're no details to change that'll make it easier. And thanks, I'm likely going to need the luck!

Thank you for the complements.

The grid?
Jaeda / Jade