AuthorTopic: [WIP] Creature with mask  (Read 8016 times)

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

[WIP] Creature with mask

on: April 15, 2011, 07:21:57 pm
Hi!
I'm very exited about post my first WIP here :)
I'm a noob in pixel art, and I'd love to recieve any feedback from you. Here's my first creature (or monster, or thing... I really don't know):

I tried to be aware about the number of colors I was using, and made a little palette in the left. I'm pretty sure there are 18 colors + the background.

Cheers from Colombia!

PD: Pixeljoint and Pixelation are AWESOME!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:28:34 pm by Sergiotron »

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Creature with mask

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:42 am
This guy is great! He reminds me of a Bile Demon from Dungeon Keeper.
The shadow shows that the light source is from directly above, so I think it could use some more highlights on the skin and some darker shading on the legs and feet.

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:29:15 pm
thanks! I'll do that :)

Offline Dessa

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:56:41 pm
You call yourself a noob, but this is better than noob quality.  The red feather bands up a bit.  Maybe disrupt one of those lines a bit ?   Or, if you're not planning to add any more colors, you could make blue or yellow the big feather, since they have an extra shade to play with.  Yellow is nice and 45-degrees so you might be able to get away with red there and not need to alias anything.

This is pretty good though.  How long did it take?

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:16:44 pm
Thanks for your comment! It took me about one and a half hour. Would be great to know how long would be your time :) I want to compare my time with more experimented pixel artists.

I call myserlf a noob becouse I've been reading and making pixel art for about two or three weeks, but I have experience in other digital technics, so basically I didn't start from zero  ;)
I've been reading plenty of usefull threads here and on pixeljoint, and I tried to use that knowledge in that image (the best I can do so far)

Now I have enought feedback to make a better version. I will post it soon. Thanks again  :)

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:26:23 pm
hi!
I made some improvements.

old  NEW!

what do you thing?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:53:25 pm by Sergiotron »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 03:59:57 am
Hey, considering you're a noob, this is actually pretty great. Nailed down the isometric perspective almost perfectly. I can see some subtle outlining and some banding in places but other than that, it's all good. The palette could use a few adjustments but the idea I have for a better palette is pretty vague, maybe I'll suggest ideas later on.

Offline Shiny

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:08:04 am
Here's a partial edit that will hopefully help you along:

- Contrast is low.
- Hair locks are too individualized.
- Highlights on far areas are distracting and break depth. Inconsistent lighting overall.
- Cast shadow is wrong.
- Skull and creature do not look in the same direction, creating a discontinuity in flow.
   - May be intentional considering that their right leg is bent... or just abnormally short.
- Noisy texturing.

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:48:57 pm
@Pistachio: Thanks! I agree about the outlines and banding (recently learned concepts  :) ) I have recieved very good advices about the palette on pixeljoint, and I think I get it.

@Shiny: Thanks for taking your time to make that edition  :y: I really appreciate it  :)
I agree with almost everything you've said (except the skull direction).

I'll do a new version today. Thanks again!

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:11:53 pm
Well, I decided to try a new approach
Update:

Mask: Finished
Hay: Unfinished
I made the palette  ;D  It's the best one I've made so far 

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:36 pm
This looks great i love every part of it keep it up

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:00:14 am
The blue highlights are interesting and i love palettes based on brown and blue. but I can still notice a little 'noisy texturing' as pointed out by Shiny. why don't you adopt a 'macchiaioli' approach, that would be drawing large splashes of color, with soft edges, that melt gently into each other? i think especially the darkest and lightest spots should be slightly hinted, and not accentuated. you've already done what i mean on those two lines over his right eye, you should do the same everywhere and soften the harsh dark lines. i've had time just for the nose and mouth, but i hope it will be useful anyway:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 03:55:24 am
Oh, well, for some reason I thought there was only the OP in this thread and I made an edit which mostly addresses points that Shiny has already covered. I'll share it anyway:

As for the new piece, I recommend altering the perspective so the horizon line is around eye-level with the subject, occluding the top of the hay.

Be mindful of noisy texture with stuff like hay and fur. Work in nice, clean pixel clusters to keep the pixel work crisp and readable.

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:11:28 pm
This looks great i love every part of it keep it up
Thanks!

The blue highlights are interesting and i love palettes based on brown and blue. but I can still notice a little 'noisy texturing' as pointed out by Shiny. why don't you adopt a 'macchiaioli' approach, that would be drawing large splashes of color, with soft edges, that melt gently into each other? i think especially the darkest and lightest spots should be slightly hinted, and not accentuated. you've already done what i mean on those two lines over his right eye, you should do the same everywhere and soften the harsh dark lines. i've had time just for the nose and mouth, but i hope it will be useful anyway:

Thanks for you edit!  :) I think it looks better  :y:

Oh, well, for some reason I thought there was only the OP in this thread and I made an edit which mostly addresses points that Shiny has already covered. I'll share it anyway:

As for the new piece, I recommend altering the perspective so the horizon line is around eye-level with the subject, occluding the top of the hay.

Be mindful of noisy texture with stuff like hay and fur. Work in nice, clean pixel clusters to keep the pixel work crisp and readable.
Thanks for your edit! It looks very good :) I will back to that little colorful version soon.

This is a new version I worked on yesterday (I haven't fixed the mask)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:13:07 pm by Sergiotron »

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 04:45:09 pm
Little update

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:32 pm
I can totally picture this dude in a ff videogame.
are you sure you're a noob? this is very good! you seem to be using pretty advanced techniques on that last update

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:31 am
Thanks! Maybe I use those advanced techniques you say, but I still use them quite unconsciously. I want to control them more to be sure what I'm really doing  :)