AuthorTopic: [WIP - C+C] "Mr White in Happy Land" Mock-up  (Read 5511 times)

Offline PoisonousJoy

• Just when you thought nothing could get worse.
    • View Profile
    • PJ's DeviantArt

[WIP - C+C] "Mr White in Happy Land" Mock-up

on: April 14, 2011, 11:51:52 pm
Placeholder title.

But the awesomeness stays.

I'd like to know what could i add to the background and the place where the character should move. Also i'd like to have some opinions on the colors of that sky ._.

I'm working on a HUD

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: [WIP - C+C] "Mr White in Happy Land" Mock-up

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:46:17 am
All the colors feel a little... beige. Not in the hue, but in spirit. There's no life to them. I'm not sure how to fix it without going bright neon, but that's something you should look into.

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:43:37 am
All the colors feel a little... beige. Not in the hue, but in spirit. There's no life to them. I'm not sure how to fix it without going bright neon, but that's something you should look into.
Well the "beige" is the main feeling, if you put neon in it it would lose the whole feeling, in my opinion.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline Dorian

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29:24 am
Looks real good. Personal opinion on the background though - Add depth to the bushes, in a similar way to the clouds above the scene, perhaps? They just seem a little flat and don't fit in.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 10:35:15 am
Looks real good. Personal opinion on the background though - Add depth to the bushes, in a similar way to the clouds above the scene, perhaps? They just seem a little flat and don't fit in.

I think the clouds shouldn't have any depth, they seem to be just posters. The bushes definietly needs some depth however. Something that needs to be fixed is a source of light, right now it appears to be everywhere and it messes up the overall quality of the picture.

Offline Drascoll

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:50:34 pm
The drop shadow on the clouds are on the wrong side. It needs to follow the isometric perspective of the background for it to look right. Note, you can add a slight drop shadow to the bushes to cary the theme of stage props and add a little depth at the same time. This would help give a continuity to the light source as well.

As for the colors, I don't mind them as they are. I like the "beige feel" as Phlakes called it. However when considering color we all know that it is relative to the other colors respective to it in the space. So by changing the color of just the dirt to a sightly darker shade with less green it can cause a contrast that would make the other colors seem vibrant. Also on that note the Green back drop of this forum can skew the color composition. If we were to mat it on a black background it may not seem so desaturated, so color may not be an issue at all.

I hope you don't mind but I did a little mock up to explan what I mean. I dropped the image pallat down to 16 colors because you had 20 atm. And I'm not sure what you mean by "using a HUD" so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I also wanted to use web safe colors but I scraped that Idea when I decided to keep the mock up as close to your color scheme. I don't really feel as though this is an improvement on the peace but I hope it illustrates some things to consider when working on your project.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:05:15 pm by Drascoll »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:41:22 pm
Personally I'm rather fond of the original palette. It remains colorful, cheerful and contrasting without being a pain to look at for long, while the beige, "lifeless" feel somehow lends to the fact that the scene appears to be set in a stage somewhat reminiscent of Super Mario Bros. 3. (I'm betting that was one of your inspirations.)

Considering this, and Drascoll's edit, I think it might benefit more from less contrast. At the least it might be interesting to see.

One more thing I'd recommend is adding depth to the foreground bushes, like others have said before. Also perhaps move the rabbit-thing's mouth a pixel or two to the left, and Mr. White's (I'm assuming he's the guy to the left?) red tie a pixel or two to the right.

And those blueish hills in the background, not sure what to call them, they seem very slightly jagged like they were made with the circle tool, or perhaps it's just me. You might want to consider moving those hills up, as right now they seem rather... Eh... Confusing? Distracting? Giving off a "cluttered" sort of feel. I suppose it's due to so many props in the same place while the sky is almost blank in comparison.

Well there's my two cents.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:31:52 pm by pistachio »

Offline PoisonousJoy

• View Profile
    • PJ's DeviantArt

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:22:34 am
Hey, progress.

I added some depth to the bushes, set out a light point for the enviroment, added outlines to the characters, changed mr white's tie, added a monster thingie on the right and a wall on the left because it helps setting the start of the level.

I might make a game out of this so... yeah.

Also:

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:57:17 am
First thing you should do is to determine a source of light.
Right now, this is what you have ;

Lots of sources of light, pick one (from the side, from the top, from below) and stick with it through the game.

Offline schmohawk

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 03:49:28 am
I think adding the outline is a mistake

Offline PoisonousJoy

• View Profile
    • PJ's DeviantArt

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 04:47:22 am
@Greger: ...holy crap. You're right.

@schmohawk: I don't like it too much either, but colors like the naknak (that thing on the right) aren't really noticeable, and i want to keep those colors :C I'll work out something later.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:11:12 pm
Lots of sources of light, pick one (from the side, from the top, from below) and stick with it through the game.

I hadn't an issues with the light sources so far. It gave the feeling that the scene was lit from the player, as if they were on stage. That seemed aligned with the thread-hanging-clouds. The 3/4th view of the character (with shadow on his left) versus the 3/4th view on the monsters (with shadow on their right) also increased the feeling of opposing forces.