AuthorTopic: RPG Maker Enemies  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Dragonwarrior0

• View Profile

RPG Maker Enemies

on: April 30, 2011, 02:46:23 pm
I'm attempting to create the enemy sprites for an rpg project made in rpg maker(still in the very early developement phase)

First one is done.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:57:40 pm by Dragonwarrior0 »

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Re: RPG Maker Enemies

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:01:08 pm
The blue hair needs to transition a little better with the brown fur.  Right now it looks like the hair was cut from another picture and pasted here.  And why did you use blue to define it's teeth instead of the dark brown you used for the whiskers?

The teeth also seem a bit pillow shaded, they need a more defined light source and highlights that contour to their shape.

You did really nicely with the texture in the fur, though.

Offline Dragonwarrior0

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:10 am
Thank you for the comment.

Regarding the transition I tried overlapping the brown fur with the blue hair not so sure if it works though.

The dark brown blends in better with the teeth, I also tried to define the shapes of the teeth more decisive without adding new colors.

Furthermore I toned down the overall saturation.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:49:52 am by Dragonwarrior0 »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:15:17 am
Looking good so far :) Small niggles: The color transitions of the gums and the inside of the ear really sear my eyes. Why such a big jump in values? Might be better to just use less colors on the ear and darker purples for the gums. Color ramps would benefit from some hue-shifting or at least less saturated darks.

Offline Dragonwarrior0

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:02:03 pm
I'm thankful for those small niggels :y:

I don't know how I've overlooked the gigantic value difference, it has been fixed now also the saturation of the darker colors has been adjusted slightly.

About using the datker purpels on the gums I tried it and it looks to "bloody" for me so I'm sticking with the above variant, wich doesnt stand out too much anymore due to the value jump.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:04:13 pm
Shading looks good so far, but sometimes the transition from light to dark seems too... Smooth in places. Hard to explain. It's just in small places, anyway.

Hair color seems to clash with the main body. Perhaps some antialiasing could fix that? I'm not sure, actually.

Well, here's a quick edit regarding those teeth of yours. Also redrew the right foot. It looked a bit odd, unless he's supposed to be jumping or something.

EDIT: Huh, lowering the saturation of the palette did seem to help.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:15:21 am by pistachio »

Offline Dragonwarrior0

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:48 am
Thank you for the comment an the edit.

I dont how I shoud apply aa on that small forehead area where there are solely broken lines.

Regarding the edit I studied it and stumbled upon some changes I agree with some I disagree with and some that I dont understand.

About the foot, yes it is supposed to "hop" forward, this is due to the sprites not being animated in the game, so I tried to make the poses "dynamic".

Considering the teeth I reworked them once more so the cartoony look(mainly the scharp zig-zag line) is completely gone now, and that made the eyes the only cartoony element so I gave them volume to prevent the styles from clashing, so the sprite is now completely realsticly I guess.

What I also changed are the whiskers I redrew th left ones and changed the hue to a blue one, furthermore I reshaded the backside of the mane to make it clearer that they're being inderectly lit and I slightly adjusted the nose.

I dont get what you did with the ear and what you with the outer lines of the mane though.

Anyway here is the updated version.

EDIT:

I'm gonna go ahead and call this one finished.

I've updated the first post, I guess it s time for the next sprite, right now its a rough sketch, critisicsm especially on anatomy/perspective is most welcome.

EDIT :

Current Version:

EDIT:

Topic closed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:37:41 pm by Dragonwarrior0 »