AuthorTopic: 8-Bit(ish)Dojo (New to Pixel Art)  (Read 5460 times)

Offline rivet

• View Profile

8-Bit(ish)Dojo (New to Pixel Art)

on: April 08, 2011, 04:11:43 am

Any opinions? How can I make it better?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:14:13 am by rivet »

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Re: 8-Bit(ish)Dojo (New to Pixel Art)

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:39:03 am
So you're using 8 colors right? I still have trouble with the right terms with these things...
I think you should vary your colors more? Right now I can't tell that there's a guy on the right very well.
Maybe less details?

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:15:52 pm

Any opinions? How can I make it better?

Work on those contrasts, right now it's all a blur because the colours you use are almost all the same.

Offline rivet

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 05:27:44 pm

Added more contrasting colors, a roof, and another room with a light shadow of someone meditating.

Im thinking of turning this into a very large scene of a small town, set in the time of feudal japan.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:29:53 pm by rivet »

Offline rivet

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:44 am
Update: Added tons of things. Ive done allot more then this and will post the rest tommorow.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:33:41 am by rivet »

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:21:56 pm
Update: Added tons of things. Ive done allot more then this and will post the rest tommorow.

Ok, the first problem is your palette :

You are using 19 colours, and a few of them are almost identical. No wait, 20, I forgot to include the skintone. It's a waste of colours and if you're after an 8-bit type of look you're going to need to cut down on the colours. For instance, the samurai in red is using 7 colours, whereas 8-bit uses 4 colours (including transparancy) in an 16x16 (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) radius.

Another thing you're doing wrong is that you're colouring with a shade of brown that goes directly from light brown to dark brown. You have to think about light, if it's during the day then the lightest part are going to have sort of a yellowish hue to it whereas if it's night you're going to have to add a blueish tint to the lightest parts. Once again you have to work on contrast, some pieces are almost identical in the brown colour and the parts where there is no light has to be almost pitch black. You have to work with defining the shape of everything too, use shadows and light to make everything pop out. It looks like it's completely 2 dimensional, there is no depth to the house or anything.  The railing for instance needs to pop out more, whereas the wood behind it has to be darker to give it contrast so that you can see that it's actually railing and not just something plastered to the wall.

Right now it looks like a big mess of random lines in various shades of brown, you want it to stand out so that you can tell that it's actually a dojo and not just something that looks like a dojo but in various shades of brown.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:21:43 am
how come everyone comments like everything's fine....am I the only one seeing that stupid imageshack frog???

Offline rivet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 03:43:44 am
You see a frog? Everything looks normal to me.
Im going to try to deal with cleaning up the image soon. Im going to start with edditing the first image I started with and rebuild from there.

Offline robotwo

• Assembly~<3
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 05:11:24 pm
whereas 8-bit uses 4 colours (including transparancy) in an 16x16 (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) radius.

8-bit is such a non-specific term ... lots of systems with 8-bit cores used entirely different graphical limitations ,
compare the limits of the ZX Spectrum with the GameGear for example  :crazy:
Nowadays 8-bit seems to be a term for NES though ,
so in that case it might only utilize a set of 4 BG palettes , each consisting of 4 colors , but the last is always transparency.
The palette might be changed between 16x16 blocks of pixels , meaning that each 2x2 tile section must share the same palette.(so only 3 useable colors per 16x16 block)
But from what I've heard (haven't worked with NES much) it also uses a "BG color" , which is visible through the transparency , correct?
As far as sprites go , there's 3 useable colors per sprite , and the sprites uses 4 separate palettes (not necessarily the same as the BG palettes).

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:17:23 pm
You see a frog? Everything looks normal to me.
Use imgur! It is one of the few host that don't remove ANY pics, and works with al browsers with HTML 5. Also, I second Greger, the palette has way to many shades of wood.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.