AuthorTopic: 10-Legged Octopus  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Uriah

• View Profile

10-Legged Octopus

on: April 06, 2011, 03:42:13 pm
Something like 10 or 11 colors used.

This is probably my best piece of art I made in my 2 years of pixelling.. I have learned alot.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: 10-Legged Octopus

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:41:20 pm
The main problem here is the lighting. You're not grasping the general form of the shapes very well--for example, the head looks flat, and not round like a sphere, and the 10 legs look like one huge mass. The texturing is pretty nice, if not a bit noisy, though.

Edit coming soon to a post near you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:43:03 pm by pistachio »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:28:37 am
Why is the texture of the hat and cane the same as the texture of the octopus's skin?
I agree that you should lay out the areas of light and dark with solid opaque color shapes, get that fine tuned, then move on to texturing. The texture is nice, but is so extreme that it's probably best to use it in moderation, especially as it is inventive and doesn't reflect the actual texture of octopus skin.
I'd also consider adding some darker colors in the mouth, as it's a pit and not just a recessed area, and maybe adding some of those lighter colors to the teeth, since they're restricted to only the glasses at the present moment.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:50:49 am
Why is the texture of the hat and cane the same as the texture of the octopus's skin?
I agree that you should lay out the areas of light and dark with solid opaque color shapes, get that fine tuned, then move on to texturing. The texture is nice, but is so extreme that it's probably best to use it in moderation, especially as it is inventive and doesn't reflect the actual texture of octopus skin.
I'd also consider adding some darker colors in the mouth, as it's a pit and not just a recessed area, and maybe adding some of those lighter colors to the teeth, since they're restricted to only the glasses at the present moment.

Indeed. For that matter, the tentacles don't actually look like tentacles--they look more like spikes. The glasses seem positioned too much to the left. Lots of other problems in this picture that I hope I addressed here (but mostly it's just a lighting rough to help you get an idea of how you'd position the lighting).

Offline Uriah

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:53:02 am
To get some things out of the way, this isn't a normal octopus. He combines a man, a spider, and an octopus. For the most part the shape of an octopus.

Thanks for the Cnc and ideas everybody, and I'll look into all this.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:05 am
To get some things out of the way, this isn't a normal octopus. He combines a man, a spider, and an octopus. For the most part the shape of an octopus.

Thanks for the Cnc and ideas everybody, and I'll look into all this.

The "octopus" and "man" parts were pretty obvious, but if the "spider" part's an excuse for the seemingly poorly drawn legs/tentacles, they still don't look at all like a spider's legs and I definitely wouldn't have guessed it. If that's your intention, try to actually make it more obvious this time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:12:02 am by pistachio »