AuthorTopic: really quick NES sprite  (Read 3476 times)

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

really quick NES sprite

on: April 06, 2011, 01:41:11 am

never actually figured out what NES restrictions were, This was my attempt.  I cut corners with the legs too, is that noticeable?
The request (he's #1, i'm #2)
Your brother says that you do sprite sheets. Any chance you could help me out if you have some time?
March 30 at 10:31pm · Like · · See Friendship

2 why yes. and im bored. What'cha got
        March 30 at 10:31pm · Like
        1I can't draw for shit but I'm starting to work on a game. I could use a simple sprite sheet of just a blocky 8bit guy and a simple walking animation. Kind of like this, but 8bit and not shitty
        March 30 at 10:36pm · Like
        1 Oops Forgot enter submits http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19002129/BroDude.png
        March 30 at 10:37pm · Like
        2 oka, so just a guy with a red shirt and a gun? any limiters? 8-bit. size? 16X16?
        March 30 at 10:45pm · Like
        1 ‎8bit colors and 25x25 please. Thanks dude.
        March 30 at 10:48pm · Like
        2 http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6785/8bitdude.png

that work? probably not as blocky as you'd like and i cut corners with the run cycle, but should work as a placeholder.
        March 30 at 11:11pm · Like

any thoughts?
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Scarab

• View Profile

Re: really quick NES sprite

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:22:38 am
Hey there!

As far as I know, the most noticeable NES restrictions are 3 colours per 8x8 sprite tile, plus transparency.
(There are more that dictate how many palettes you can have and how many tiles you can display at once, but unless you're actually going to put the game on an NES, you don't really need to worry about them).

It's hard to tell how it animates from the stills, would you mind posting it as an animated gif?
One thing I can suggest is adding some upper body movement.

Keep in mind that the term '8-bit sprite' is technically ambiguous, as each 8-bit system had different restrictions, but keeping with the 'vibe' of your friend's sprite and the NES I did a quick paintover of my interpretation of the sprite:

The top one was my first attempt, then I tried it in a couple of other styles that fitted NES colour restrictions, but were further away from the reference image.

Animated:(It's a bit fast, and could use some fine tuning, but hopefully it illustrates a few of the points I made above.)

Anyway, hopefully this can give you some ideas on making it more 'blocky'  :)

Regards, Scarab ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:25:56 am by Scarab »

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:05 am

there we go.  yeah i was having a small amount of issues with the upper body movement.  couldn't make it subtle.
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:43 pm

there we go.  yeah i was having a small amount of issues with the upper body movement.  couldn't make it subtle.

It looks like he's bending his back backwards, his torso should also jump a bit due to him walking. His arm is really, really long. Especially his forearm, they appear to be as long as his legs.
Fix the proportions, the upper arm is longer than the forearm.