AuthorTopic: Tanks! Tanks!  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Quise

• View Profile

Tanks! Tanks!

on: April 03, 2011, 05:05:25 am
Hello, this are my old works from last year. Simple - 2 frame in each animation.

broken tank

moving tank

shooting tank
explosion

Ok. Now its to make something new.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Re: Tanks! Tanks!

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:06:28 am
They're very similar to the ones I made. Did you use them as refs?

(I made these specifically for an 'Advanced Wars' remake.)

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:25:33 am

Eerily similar.
Since I think mush's work is nice and cute I'll just give you some C+C for what you did. The animations. They are bad. Specifically the firing, those look like it's slowly birthing a giant watermelon or something. You should create a pause between the build up and the "burp" if you want any sense of power to it. Right now I expect it'll be just dropping a cannonball instead of hurling a bullet.

@Mush: I really like your work tehehiehef

Ok. Now its to make something new.
I agree completely!

Offline AlexxShadenk777

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:36:26 am
I have to agree with StaticSails, the shooting animation is very awkward, way more cartoonish than it needs to. Unless you wanna go for that, perhaps you should rather go for a more realistic shooting animation that does not have a distortion on the cannon, rather simply a short cocking motion of the cannon, followed by the top half also retracting, and then slowly both return to their default positions. That would work better, I think.

As a design choice, maybe you could deviate a little from one tank to the other, like the green one could have an antenna on one side, while the blue one has a radome, or male the blue one more angular; you know, little differences like that.

Offline Quise

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:26 pm

Yea i use them as refs. I found it somewhere but can not remember exactly where it was. I was looking to do something in style "Advanced Wars". It was used to techdemo of game to credit programming subject.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 05:26:09 pm
I thought I recognized the explosion from somewhere, then I remembered that I've done an explosion with the same reference that you've been using :

here.

I think the explosion would benefit a lot from a few more frames to smooth it out, like this :

Offline Quise

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:31:01 pm
This type of explosion i also seen in MetalSlug if I'm right

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:38:12 pm
Yea i use them as refs. I found it somewhere but can not remember exactly where it was. I was looking to do something in style "Advanced Wars". It was used to techdemo of game to credit programming subject.

No no, this isn't how it works here. Parts of these are straight rips, pixel by pixel. There's reference and inspiration and then there's this. Here's my suggestion: be braver in making your art. Every time someone is ripping something it is because they're looking for a shortcut to 'getting good'. There isn't such a thing. Even if you frankenstein together one perfect-looking (to you) sprite from various sources, you still won't be able to replicate how it came together when it's next time to sprite. So this way you learn very little, if anything.

Usually I ban rippers on sight, but I'll instead suggest this: if you post in this thread again, if you want to carry on in Pixelation, please provide a new sprite which you worked on without ripping anyone off. You want to make a tank? That's great! Look at photos, look at videogame art, search for inspiration, do whatever you want but once you start to pixel, don't lift anything, draw at your level and let people help you get better at that level. Not an artificially inflated one.