AuthorTopic: Nintendo are revolting!?  (Read 31272 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: Nintendo are revolting!?

Reply #50 on: May 02, 2006, 06:04:38 am
OMG!! If you dont like calling it the wii, call it the revolution.  You dont have to call it wii.  Call it whatever you freaking want!!
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #51 on: May 02, 2006, 06:09:28 am
jeez...what's with the controling freak vibe all over this thread?

if Baccaman thought the name was funny and it'd be bad for the revolution's marketing and felt like doing a slightly humorous thread, I dont see how that should upset you so badly.

hey, if you disagree leave the thread alone, no need to get preachy on him.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:12:44 am by Conceit »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #52 on: May 02, 2006, 07:23:00 am
Honestly baccaman...

I use the same pronunciation as the Japanese and as far as I can see, it's pronounced "Kosh" or "kos" No need to add gasoline to the fire.

Funny that considering Koch media was set up by an Austrian...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: May 02, 2006, 08:00:28 am
If Koch is pronounced like in German, shouldnt the last bit be pronounced like the sound you make when saying "Ham" or "Juan" (the last one in Spanish though) instead of cock?

While at first I thought "Wii" as a name was rather funny or dumb, I think they went more towards the iconographic way rather than looking for an"omg-so-cool" name.
I mean the two people thing kinda works, and the "someone playing" thing, and the "we" connection aswell. So I guess it's good.
And  it sounds like "wee", but what?
Dont do both "We" or "whee" sound like "wee" aswell? But does anyone make a deal about them when for example they appear in songs or something?
And then shouldnt that also be applied to stuff like "Winnie the pooh" (omg poo!!!)  and not only in english, like nissan's "Moco" which means booger in Spanish, or even AA that could mean to take a shit in German (only as an abbreviation and when written though, but still).
Only people that want to make a deal about it will.
Dont they say that you shouldnt judge a book from its cover?

Anyway as a nintendo fan boy I am looking forwards to the wii, regardless of the name.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:58:28 am by Panda »

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: May 02, 2006, 08:54:35 am
Funny that considering Koch media was set up by an Austrian...

Ah... well that's something else then. Meh, if people were that keen on making crude jokes, people here would be laughing at for example: Konami, that translates to "My wife" or Rare that means "Strange". Despite Rap being translated to "Burp-music", people here still find it to have a very high "cool factor".

Tried to find a translator for Austrian but not surprisingly, I couldn't find one. A German one said it means "Cook"... Not that far from Panda's "Ham". An interesting combination of food and gamesdistrebution O_o

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: May 02, 2006, 08:59:33 am
Austrians talk in German, though depending on the area (it is spoken) it has weird accents, so yeah I dont think you'll find "Austrian" translators.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:01:04 am by Panda »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: May 02, 2006, 09:59:58 am
know the sound cats make when they're scared? that's how to pronounce a german 'ch'. it can also be found in every second klingon word
and yeah, koch means cook, and if i'm not mistaken koch media is the biggest german software distributor or something along those lines

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #57 on: May 02, 2006, 11:42:53 am
While at first I thought "Wii" as a name was rather funny or dumb, I think they went more towards the iconographic way rather than looking for an"omg-so-cool" name.
I mean the two people thing kinda works, and the "someone playing" thing, and the "we" connection aswell. So I guess it's good.
And  it sounds like "wee", but what?
Dont do both "We" or "whee" sound like "wee" aswell? But does anyone make a deal about them when for example they appear in songs or something?
And then shouldnt that also be applied to stuff like "Winnie the pooh" (omg poo!!!)  and not only in english, like nissan's "Moco" which means booger in Spanish, or even AA that could mean to take a shit in German (only as an abbreviation and when written though, but still).
Only people that want to make a deal about it will.
Dont they say that you shouldnt judge a book from its cover?

Anyway as a nintendo fan boy I am looking forwards to the wii, regardless of the name.

Not taking anyting away from the machine... I too am looking forward to it's final release... even though it ain't as 'powerful' as 'the other two' i don't care... i've always been a fan of ninty... and as far as I'm concerened their consoles and associated software has generally rocked...

As far as naming's concerened... it's this namby pamby arty farty clap trap that offends me the most... some bloody design/marketing studio has been paid squillions of dollar to come up with 3 letters - "the W represents this... the two I's represent that yadda yadda yadda..." in my books this kind of pretentiousness is fine and fair enough in it's place... but when the chosen word/logo ends up becoming another word/represention for a bodily function then that's just not right... someone somewhere should have made the connection... or maybe they did and didn't care... oh I don't know... I just know that the majority of the people I've spoken to about this (most of whom are video game developers) think that ninty have 'cocked' up (excuse the pun) .. I just can't beleive that they overlooked the obvious misinterpretation of the name... hey ho...

Let's lighten the mood then - lost in translation... example #1

I was involved with a game once where we 'pretentiously' chose to use kanji in the background layer of one of the frontend screens... (the kanji was the name of the game... written in hiragana) - unfortunatly for us it turned out these words translated to "man who touches himself"... or in other words... "Wanker!" - oh how we laughed... particularly when you think it said "smash tennis" - obviously we had to remove this as to not offend the small minority of japanese speakers that may have played the game...

and another... example #2
Zub? - A game made a long time ago for speccy type things... originally called ZOB... which is apparently a rude word in some european language...

Happens all the time...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #58 on: May 02, 2006, 08:06:27 pm
......... because without a superficial name change to get people talking, nobody would be ...........

And they were before? No. I've informed many people about the system istelf before this and they didn't even know it was in development. Now everyone is talking about how retarded the name is.

And don't come at me with the smartass attitude; its immature and not necessary. Take care of your vaginal problems elsewhere. Chill the fuck out.
@darionmccoy

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #59 on: May 02, 2006, 09:54:15 pm
Bottomline is: if they base their name on 'we', they're completely off-track. 'We' is not a cool word in the western society, 'we' prefer to think only about ourselves.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.