AuthorTopic: Nintendo are revolting!?  (Read 31264 times)

Offline Homeless

• View Profile

Re: Nintendo are revolting!?

Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 05:04:17 pm
Did you know that its very difficult (a mouthfull) to say revolution in Japanese?

It's a mouthfull to say anything in japanese.

EDIT: There's no Wi sound in japanese, but it is a lot easier to approximate than
レ ヴォ ル ショ  ン
re vuo ru sho  n
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:47:49 pm by Homeless »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 06:28:39 pm
It's a mouthfull to say anything in japanese.

Leon states that the name Los Illuminados is "a mouthful", as in, it is difficult to say. This is unusual because he utters the name easily. However, the Japanese katakana transliteration adds extra vowel sounds, as well as posessing an "L" sound that is difficult for a native Japanese speaker to pronnounce. Therefore this line was meant for a non-English audience.

Revolution has an L. Huzzah.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 07:57:29 pm
nintendo pws in the handheld market, though i want the DS to fade away that a new gba model to come out soon.....

i tihnk its not the platform itself that makes the platform good, its the games.  thats why nintendo wins in the handheld section, and not the consols
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #43 on: May 01, 2006, 09:52:55 am
somehting else I found out about the wii last week is the name of the main distibutor for nintendo's new console...

... you won't believe this...

KOCH!  (pronounced COCK!)

seriously...

the WII will be spread around the world by KOCH! - can you believe it...!?

--------------------------
something else that struck me.... does it mean in french speaking countries... the wii will essentially be the YES?
I remember when the Ford KA was revealed to the UK market... however long ago it was... I remember finding that funny cos I hated the design and felt the Japanese Sound for '?' was a perfect name for it...

COCK!

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: May 01, 2006, 11:48:23 am
the japanese are wierd (koch???)

around here, the Ford KA is a joke because thats how everybody pronounces the word 'car' (we drop all of our R's)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: May 01, 2006, 12:08:26 pm
Honestly baccaman...

I use the same pronunciation as the Japanese and as far as I can see, it's pronounced "Kosh" or "kos" No need to add gasoline to the fire.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: May 01, 2006, 12:37:15 pm
I seriously don't understand why you keep talking about it...aren't you interested in the console???? Who cares about the fucking name Nintendo decided to give it??? Instead of wasting your time thinking about how is it going to be when to say to your friends "can I play with your wii?" do something useful! I don't see any point in keep talking about it, but maybe you have nothing else to do...

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: May 01, 2006, 05:12:08 pm
It's not so simple that there is an interest in the name Wii because we don't like it, and that we're all whining about some minor point of the console... of course we all know it's the games that make the console and not the name, but that doesn't change the fact that the name will affect sales.  Most people complaining about the name are going to buy the Wii, of course.  Not so for people with less an interest in video games than us... for them the choice will be much more superficial, and the name will certainly have a much bigger choice about which console they choose to buy.  And since I think Wii is a bad name, Nintendo's sales will suffer, which then means Nintendo will have less profit, and then less third party companies wanting to go to Wii, and that ultimately means less games, and a worse console.  Of course we are interested in the console... if we weren't, we wouldn't give a damn about the name because it would have no impact on us.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: May 01, 2006, 06:59:21 pm
What?
Anyone who's not so much interested in game consoles and is looking into getting into game consoles, which can be pretty expensive, are going to go into it with caution, and that means not just buy something because of its name. Second of all, a bad name and less profits will cause less third party games? Nintendo doesn't pay for third party games unless they collaborate on games, otherwise it's mostly the third parties paying for the license. No matter if Nintendo has hardly any money will not change the third party stance with them.

Also, who in this generation who isn't a teen at the time, hasn't been interested in gaming? Most are nowadays, and mostly the ones who aren't are older, or younger. Nintendo knows this and that's exactly who they're trying to grab in and that's exactly what the name represents. A mother looking for a  game her and her daughter can play with, costing upwards to $300+ isn't going to say "wow, what a stupid name, I'd rather buy this more expensive cooler named Xbox 360" half the time the people not interested in consoles can't even bother to remember names. She's going to ask the clerk about something that her and her daughter can play together, read reviews online that aren't caught-up over a name, and actually find out about the console itself. Nintendo knows this, they know the audience they're trying to capture, and they care more about bringing other age groups into gaming than the other consoles. They've proven they'd rather risk stumping sales to pull in other age groups than overall please the current gamers by making their console less powerful.

This happens every single time a simple change to something that doesn't effect the main point at all happens. Everyone goes haywire over something that means nothing. It was the same with The Wind Waker, people just look into the aesthetics way too much. Most who ever buy a console never refer to the console name ever again, so why does it matter?

And like it's been mentioned before, does everyone go around laughing at French speakers because not only does how they say yes sound like we, they say it twice. The inhumanity! It reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where he starts laughing in French class, because we all know Peter is a good example of being immature.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: May 01, 2006, 07:37:32 pm
If Nintendo sells less consoles then of course third parties won't be as interested in developing for the console.  Fewer console owners means fewer potential buyers. 

And of course the name will make a difference.  No, it won't be the only deciding factor;  I never said that people will buy solely based on the name.  But it will have influence.  First impressions are powerful.  And "Wii" doesn't leave a good first impression.

Nintendo already has a bad rep among older casual gamers as a kiddie company, and this name change won't help that at all.  The name won't kill interest among people already very interested, but it will certainly kill a lot of interest in people who were mildly interested in the Revolution.