AuthorTopic: Nintendo are revolting!?  (Read 31267 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Nintendo are revolting!?

Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 03:38:03 am
I said hardly, not none at all. Not to mention RE4 wasn't exclusive to gamecube, and being sold on the PS2 made it all the worse for Nintendo. Sure, there are some, but compared to the other consoles, they're scarce.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 04:38:58 am
It was exclusive for the first 9 months.  :P

I kinda lost interest in Nintendo's consoles, they still make the best handhelds though.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #32 on: April 30, 2006, 04:52:38 am
*agrees completely with Dusty*
That's what I was trying to say.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 30, 2006, 07:22:02 am
8bitty said it.

I don't find any problem with the name, I actually started liking it alot more when I understood the concept beyond it. And this thread only shows the efficiency of the name change: WE ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT IIT!

Besides, I don't have the caniplaywithyourwee problem in Portuguese ˆ_ˆ

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 30, 2006, 08:52:40 am
On Wii and FPS;  Google "Red Steel"

Also:

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 30, 2006, 09:42:30 am
Well, it was only a matter of time, eh?

I can remember when I saw the article about it. Was on the phone with one of my X-box supporing friends. After searching a while, I found it to be true. I ended up saying: "NOOOooooo!" and then the dissing came from the other end. Have been hearing it since.

My initial thought was: Nintendo just took everything good they had for the machine and wrecked it. But as it is, it a remarkable success as advertisement. Only in the first hour after it's release just about every gamenews site with a forum had been spammed with piss jokes. You have to admit, that's a pretty good way to get attention to yourself.

The name is in itself a market strategy. First of all, Nintendo shows it's "be different" approach and names the console something completely in the other direction. Also, Nintendo has stated through it's entire development of Wii (well, most of it) that they are modeling their product after Apple and their iPod. Look at it: short, incredibly easy to remember, both with the tiny i's, both glossy white and tiny. Most of all: it does not link to Nintendo. The machine is name Wii and not Nintendo Wii (contrary to ign.) When someone biased looks at Nintendo he or she allready has a specific view about the thing. When someone spots something in the store that's just called Wii, they don't think "It's that kiddy console." or "ugh.. it's just another Nintendo". They see it as something else, just like most people don't think of Apple when they think of iPod. Also, remember that Nintendo targets not just gamers, but everyone. The simple name, light package and no link to "this whole gameconsole business." will draw interest from other people.

I'm still a little concerned since allmost the entire game market (for all the consoles) are pre-teens, so there will be a lot of "wee-wee" jokes. But, if those kids are as immature as they seem right now, they they'll probably forget about fairly quickly and start looking at shiny box instead. Personally, I'm just waiting to see the games that will surface at E3.

Oh, just remembered. I never say "let's play Gamecube." It's more along the lines of: "Play Smash bros?" Don't remember the last time I mentioned the consoles name.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: April 30, 2006, 10:33:29 am
It was exclusive for the first 9 months.  :P

I kinda lost interest in Nintendo's consoles, they still make the best handhelds though.

Yes it was, but it didn't take long before its coming to the PS2 made a debute in rumour. And just giving that notion destroyed a lot of its chance to bringing in more gamecube sales because no one is going to go buy a gamecube for the game if it's coming out on PS2, with extras, even if they have to wait a few months.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #37 on: April 30, 2006, 11:53:01 am
Seems their market strategy has been working quite well lol. The name still sends a shiver down my WIIIIIIII er spine. If the wii succeeds, I can only imagine what the other companies will start calling their consoles, I see a very bleak future ahead =P.

Offline God Slayer

• No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. No one.
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: April 30, 2006, 12:11:37 pm
Are we done with the crappy wee puns yet? Seriously, its not really that funny, witty, or relevant. When I say, shall we go to the park, do you crack up and say oh he said wee! ? Personaly, I think its a good name.

The scottish wee fits it well IMO, since it it rather small. Did you know that its very difficult (a mouthfull) to say revolution in Japanese?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: April 30, 2006, 03:34:14 pm
Well they could've kept Revolution and just called it something else in Japan.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 03:35:52 pm by Darien »