AuthorTopic: Nintendo are revolting!?  (Read 31263 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Nintendo are revolting!?

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 04:23:31 pm
When all a person has to whine about is a simple name, you know the system is going to be good...

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 04:37:17 pm
Spec-wise, compare it head-to-head with the last generation of consoles.  Granted, it's underpowered-ness might lower the price compared to some present and future consoles (and Nintendo is actually really good at making efficient use of their hardware in games), but cost wasn't the issue behind lagging nintendo console sales, the problem was the games and the turnaround time on their consoles.  The Wii looks like a baby PS2, and has the power of a baby PS2 plus some other goodies (I know it beats it in memory and whatnot :p), and the hassle of developing for a newer console will throw another hurdle in front of the people that are still aiming to publish on Nintendo systems.  This is a marketing ploy, and while I can't speak for most Nintendo fans, I really don't like buying the same console over and over, regardless of whether it adds extra screens or shiny one-handed controllers or whatever.  They need to make a system with the technological staying power of their first few.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, I just don't love what's happening :\
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 04:54:32 pm by goat »
typing ewith fdace

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 05:00:32 pm
I still call it Game & Stick.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 06:22:20 pm
i see no reason to buy the revolution, or even really the 360 for that matter, though ill probably get one of those at some point, i plan to buy a PS3.  why? the games.  if they release a new mario platformer for the ..... Wii ....., that will get me interested.  i havent researched it at all, so i consider myself the average consumer (i say that because nintendo cant possibly say that hardcore gamers are their traget audience), but i havent seen anything but metroid and an old man pretending to fish.  the revolution looks like a nice toy with all its silly little things, but if i want to play good games, im sticking with Sony.  I would like the 360 if it didnt seem to be all shooters + fable, which i can play on the computer with better controls.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 06:31:51 pm
Spec-wise, compare it head-to-head with the last generation of consoles.  Granted, it's underpowered-ness might lower the price compared to some present and future consoles (and Nintendo is actually really good at making efficient use of their hardware in games), but cost wasn't the issue behind lagging nintendo console sales, the problem was the games and the turnaround time on their consoles.  The Wii looks like a baby PS2, and has the power of a baby PS2 plus some other goodies (I know it beats it in memory and whatnot :p), and the hassle of developing for a newer console will throw another hurdle in front of the people that are still aiming to publish on Nintendo systems.  This is a marketing ploy, and while I can't speak for most Nintendo fans, I really don't like buying the same console over and over, regardless of whether it adds extra screens or shiny one-handed controllers or whatever.  They need to make a system with the technological staying power of their first few.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, I just don't love what's happening :\
I haven't checked this stuff in a while, but it sounds like the comparison about hte Wii being twice as powerful than the GC sounds like a purely numbers based calculation that doesn't take into account increase in efficiencies and circuit designs and all that stuff. I think if you combine that with the fact that it's sticking with a low resolution output and it should be able to compete quite well with the big boys.

The Wii name doesn't surpirse me too much either. It's obvious from the 'touch me, big boy' DS PR campaign that Nintendo are nothing but a bunch of perverted old men at this point.  :P

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 09:21:20 pm
I'd be perfectly happy if they came out with a DS 2 with a built in mobile phone and five screens and called it Wii... But Revolution sounds so damn good! And it fits so damn well! First console with a cool AND fitting name since the Master System! But noo. They had to make it considerably less cool.

Still awesome - just less cool.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 09:26:45 pm
Now that i think about it people will mock it saying "Weeeee!" but those who play it and like it will just say "Wiiiiiii!" purely for the fun of it. I will anyway ^_^

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 10:59:33 pm
Good lord, people.
Why did I have to live to see the decline of Nintendo :(
What decline?

While I do admit, it's a pretty dumb name, I realize that everyone's looking at the urination form of the pronunciation. What about the us form? That's what it was meant to be. Who even says "I gotta go wee" anymore but little children? "We" is the more commonly used homonym of the word, so why the big hubbub about the other meaning?

I do like the fact that it has two I's, though. Double vowels that arent "e" or "o" = awesomeness.

Ghoti.

I'm gonna call it "Wii," but I'll pronounce it why. Only because I'd feel uncomforable going into EB and asking for a wee game. And if the dude behind the desk tries to correct me, I'll be like "Whoo-ah!" and punch him in the nuts and be like "that's wee!" And he's gonna be like "Why!?" And I'ma be like "Yeah, that's better. Now gimmie some why games, you sissy."

The name's growing on me, but it's the content that matters.

the revolution looks like a nice toy with all its silly little things, but if i want to play good games, im sticking with Sony.  I would like the 360 if it didnt seem to be all shooters + fable, which i can play on the computer with better controls.
WTF? Nintendo has and wiill always have the best games.

Gamecube worked (even though it was dolphin in development)

I'm so glad they changed it, though it wasn't much of an improvement. Glad it wasn't the other way around. I'd hate to play games on a porpise.

I'm still a hardcore Nintenfan, but I just hope that the Wii doesn't just attract a select group of people, driving away the hardcore gamers who like to sit down and remain virtually motionless infront of FPS's that are ALL THE SAME, or RPGs that are ALL THE SAME.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 12:53:02 am
i'd be more nervious about asking my friends if they'd like to play with my Wii. but i quite like the way Wii looks. !!M would be better though. or !M!. Who cares if the games are good? iPod, Playstation, Xbox are all pretty retarded names when you think about it but it didn't stop people buying lots and lots and lots.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 01:21:46 am
!!M would be better though.

How would you pronounce that? 

It'd be like *surprised expression* *surprised expression* "mmmmmmmmmmmm..."