AuthorTopic: Pixel league, assemble!!!  (Read 8863 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Pixel league, assemble!!!

on: April 27, 2006, 08:46:12 pm
   If any one here is a frequent pixeljoint stalker, than maybe you've seen a lil of my work. I recently sent this one in; my rendition of the pirahna plant from super mario bros. When I finished it, I thought it looked fine. However, to my surprise, members at PJ opened my eyes to a couple issues with it. One was the fact that the lip colors fluctuated and changed as the frames progressed. The main issue, however was the animation itself. They told me that the reality of the chomp action didn't seem right. It had to do with the issue of the mouth bieng closed to the extent of it's reach. I'm trying to fix it, so I need some help. Cuz quite frankly, I want to make something the best I can without leaving it unfinished for once. So I'm blowing my special secret whistle to call upon the help of "The League Extraordinary Pixel'men"...

old> vs. new>

So tell me wise ones, where else shall I improve upon this fragile flora of pixelated constructs? Seriously though, I wanna know what else I can do to make it better. Does any one here think the newer version is worse than than older version? Or have I improved slightly upon it? Been frozen for 50 friggin years here....need the info....

Thanks for listenin'...
my back hurts...

Offline Radioactivity

• rawr
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel league, assemble!!!

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:09:58 pm
animation is not a strong point of mine, infact it's a weak point..
animation is camus' thing..

anyways, it does look a lot better.
I've had a look through the frames and i can't find anything to make me cry so it gets a thumgs up from me.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:32:30 pm
this oozes b.o.b.

when camus rolls through next i'm sure he'll leave a 30 page analysis for you :)  I'm not capable so i'll comment on the actual pixelwork.  First thing that catches my eye are the greens.  They look like some sort of shimmery satin material.  The highlights seem to travel around rather than the object moving to catch the light.

love the ambition and non-linearity of both motion and design.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 09:38:03 pm
workin on somethin for you..
ill have some crits up in abit

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:45:04 pm
Hey wow B.O.B. the update is awesome. The colours seem darker, which looks quite good actually, but i'm just wondering whether that was intentional. There's still something whining at me about the animation. I think you could try leaving the plant with its jaw locked at the end of the chomp for a bit, perhaps even shuddering, to increase the feel of a huge slam or shock. Just a lil idea though (but probs alot of work that might not make it better atall...) Now that i think more about it perhaps the quick snap is better... well owel, at least i put something into the ideas stew.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 09:49:33 pm
B.O.B, your new animation is a great improvement, making the mouth opening much wider shows much more force in the bite. However at the end of the bite itself, the mouth doesn't move much, what bit of movement that is there is fairly slow. Consider making the head jerk back significantly more after the bite. However this does depend on the nature of the bite, the head wouldn't jerk that much if the creature actually sucessfully bit into another creature or object.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:06:41 pm
aah i saw that over there, this new version is much better I think, you really get a sense for his mouth opening wide, which is great.  The only crit I have is that the spots on the top of the flower's...well head i guess, they jerk to a new position pretty badly a couple frames in.  otherwise its just as smooth as can be, awesome stuff!

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:50 pm
Great improvement!

I love the motion blur you've got going on here.

I still think its mouth should open earlier. I think it should start opening when it pulls it's head back all the way, so when it lunges forward its mouth is fully open.

There's a funny shift in the top part of the flower when it starts moving it back.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 11:24:01 pm
I agree that the new one is a great improvement, though they both blow me away :)

Aside from what has already been mentioned, there's a bit of weirdness going on at the end of the bite (frame 11, I think).
As the plant's mouth starts to reopen, he has no teeth for a single frame for some reason. Other than that, the spot-jerkiness really caught me, but someone already mentioned that.

That said, this is one of the best animations I've seen round here, period. Hooray!

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 11:37:53 pm
Holy crap...I guess I got so used to drawing every frame, that I completely forgot to draw the teeth on that certain frame. Aside from that, I think the reason the spot on his head skips oddly over is because I may have accidentally left a frame out. When I get out of work, I'll add the teeth, and paste the left-out frame to fix her up. But uh, thanks for the comments everybody. This will definitely help me with my growing animation skillz....

"Larwick: I think you could try leaving the plant with its jaw locked at the end of the chomp for a bit, perhaps even shuddering, to increase the feel of a huge slam or shock. Just a lil idea though..."

Wow Larwick, when editing the animation, I was thinking about adding the hard chomp anim. in there also! I guess since you requested it, I'll try and add it in there to later on to help it out. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks again, The B.O.B...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 01:01:58 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...