AuthorTopic: Zebra animation  (Read 12226 times)

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Zebra animation

on: March 22, 2011, 01:29:37 am

Obviously, a wip. I've no idea how to clean up bigger sprites and make them look 'finished'.

newest:

Currently, my most 'polished' frame looks like this new
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:37:55 pm by Sinistral Erim »

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Re: Zebra animation

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:22 am
The front legs and back legs don't seem to match very well.
I'm not really all that sure how animals run but my memory tells me that their front legs generally move the same way at the same time.
(With a little difference of course)

Also the far back leg seems to disappear

Polish the rest of the pictures like your already polished sprite and you can move from there.

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:55:43 am

yay stripes!

Yeah. I noticed the hind leg too... fixing in short.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:13 pm
its neat but i think you need to fix the jumpiness of some of the body features before worrying about polish. thb this is the most detailed you should be at this stage while working on the motion. note that this is a pretty huge pixel animation and you shouldnt expect to finish this one overnight.

having said that, i think there are some real perspective inconsistencies happening with the zebra body. If you consider the face and forelegs as one part of a zebra, and then the belly/back and hindlegs as one part of a different zebra, you can see how the front of zebra A looks like its running towards you, but the middle/back of zebraB looks like its running from left to right, more of a side on perspective.

Im not sure thats going to be a 'fun' thing to fix, as i suspect that would call for a decent revision of the entire animation, but in the end if you could make the back and hind legs match the perspective it will be a much stronger piece, even at this scribble in stage.

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:39:57 pm

trying to fix hind leg.

There's a frame where the front leg seems to glitch.

update
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:57:16 pm by Sinistral Erim »

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:39:28 pm

Bumpdate! It has a tail now. Still very WIP. I don't know how did I mess up the mane. Ehhh, back ups are a good thing.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:52 pm
I think there's always been something about the head, as if for every frame it's just being rotated, not really changing direction much--it makes for a very stiff and unnatural feel. It'd probably be pretty tough to draw a new head for each frame but I suppose that's what you might have to do.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 02:17:40 pm

Bumpdate! It has a tail now. Still very WIP. I don't know how did I mess up the mane. Ehhh, back ups are a good thing.
Good work so far I'm keen to see how it comes out. Still obviously some things to fix up.
From when I've riden horses there was 3 "gears" - walk, trot, canter and gallop.
So it might help to check out some reference of the differences in case you haven't already. Its actually very different what the legs do in each gear and it affects the way the resot of the body moves.

The main reason I mention is because the head stands out to me it does almost a double bounce as if it is cantering , but its legs look more like a full gallop.
So the head should remain failry still (slow movement) most of the time then drop suddenly and bounce back up suddenly I think once with each full run cycle.
And yeah I know its a big thing to redraw but I don't think it helps that you are just rotating the head to animate it.