AuthorTopic: GR#048 - Cyberpunkish RPG Tiles  (Read 27694 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Making some RPG tiles.

Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 08:23:31 am
I think adding one more frame at the top or bottom of the cycle would do wonders. Don't make that new frame too different from the old extreme so it adds weight to the animation. Does that make sense?

This environment has a very different mood and atmosphere than the original. I almost get the sense that you didn't intend the original to be a dark, creepy place. Your first version felt colder with less personality, which made me think of a spaceship. This one is more dungeon-like. It really depends what your goal is with this tileset.

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:53 pm
Heh it's been a while since I did art like this.

Personally I prefer soft washes on metal like this

but that might be too realistic for the style. It's worth re approaching though.

Hey Helm, your metal stuff is awesome! i look at it closer but can not fully understand the technique, could u explain it a bit?

@Perihelion: man, amazing work, really! The only thing that disturbs me is the juxtaposition of the POD and computer.
^^

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:59 pm
This is great Perihelion! It's exactly like looking at a screenshot of a well-pixelled SNES RPG. Helm's edit on that metal is very interesting (I'm going to study it because it's exactly the type of effect I've tried and failed to achieve) and yours, while not as quite as smooth, is looking heaps better than the last update! :y:

One criticism though, I think the rows of rivets (holes?) between the floor tiles are confusing and strange, though I cannot pinpoint the reason. The rivets appear to be in a gutter between the tiles, and this gutter is about as wide as the character's foot, so the floor must be really uneven. It must be a pain to walk on that! Why are there so many rivets to hold down just one tile? Right now there is no transition between the grates and the rivets so it looks kind of flat and out of place...

I'm very new to pixel art, so this advice might be worthless garbage. I hope it helps though :)

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 02:59:37 am
@big brother: I tried it, but I don't think it's an improvement over the original version. I might need to either suck it up and do proper between frames with the lighting and everything or just be happy with the current animation. I want to animate a lot of tiles in this game, though, so I don't want to spend forever on each one.

Also, this atmosphere is much closer to what I originally envisioned for this area. I was really dissatisfied with the original on both a technical and atmospheric level, which is why I decided to redo it.

@Demian: I can move it, but the idea was that the monitor was supposed to be displaying a readout for the pod. It doesn't look very integrated, though, so I might try a different monitor design.

@trough: Yeah, his was really smooth, but something that smooth would have looked out of place with the rest of the tiles, so I tried to take the general idea and do it with fewer colors.

The idea with the rivets is that they're there to add visual interest to the floor. It's hard to make things look correctly scaled at this size, so they'd be too invisible if I made them smaller. It's not 100% realistic, but I think it looks nice. Good point about the grate; I can add a border.

Edit: Okay, I fixed up the tank.

Better now?

Edit 2:

Does this look done?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:24:52 am by Perihelion »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:12 pm

Hey Helm, your metal stuff is awesome! i look at it closer but can not fully understand the technique, could u explain it a bit?

It's just a wash. When you have so close colors in a palette it's easy to do a few layers of feint washes, dither between them, add a bit of darkness here, a bit of a different hue there, a bit of interlace dithering elsewhere... It's pretty mindless but the end result looks kinda realistic. I'm not sure how to explain my technique further here because it's a subset of how I draw generally and that's an altogether larger subject. You could do worse than skim through this