AuthorTopic: How much does pixel art cost and how can i find artists...  (Read 8534 times)

Offline FoxTail

• View Profile
Hello!

I and my friends are owners of internet shop that sells consoles and console video games in Russia. So we disided to buid community around this site, and make flash 2d game for it.
I knew some basics of pixel art so i want it to be in pixels, because they are great :crazy:.
But there is one problem, there is no pixel artists in Russia  ??? In fact they exist, but they make icons or some sort work like it...

So iam looking for two questions:

• How much does it costs
    Where i can find them

It will be 32x32 titles and sprites alike mana world or ragnarok or some sort of it non isometric, with smooth animation like metal slug, or somethimg like that.

I need to know average cost of 1 title and 1 sprite of work like  to calculate full cost of game. Can you help me to find answer on this question?

And also i need to find pixel artists who works with webmoney or paypal...Thanks

Sorry for my bad english...

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: How much does pixel art cost and how can i find artists...

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:34:47 am
How much it will cost depends on how much you're willing to pay and what quality of work you're looking for. There is a jobs board on this forum here. And this thread has some information you might find useful. I'm sure most artists working over the internet will be familiar with those services, just include that in your job offer post.

Offline FoxTail

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:25:13 am
How much it will cost depends on how much you're willing to pay and what quality of work you're looking for. There is a jobs board on this forum here. And this thread has some information you might find useful. I'm sure most artists working over the internet will be familiar with those services, just include that in your job offer post.

I dont know avarage costs and prices at all that's problem.  ???

And about quality, i think everybody wants good quality, i never saw people who says — ill pay you ###, but you know, i need something bad  quality. ;D I think you mean something like different style of work.

I think that small beta game will cost about 3000-5000 $ with flash codding  when it will work, rather i hope that it will cost so(i have flasher in my team, so i know his prices, but don't know prices for arts).

Thanks for links, they are really helpful.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:07:58 am
Well obviously when you hire an artist you're hiring them to do their best work but an experienced artist is going to be looking for a higher paying job. That second link should give you an idea of how long it takes for an artist to complete a tile, the estimated amount for the work is going to vary from artist to artist, as the stickied thread says in the job offers board "for amateurs/beginners, approx. $15/hr, up to $50/hr or more for veterans". I am not familiar with either of those games however from screenshots I would say art of the quality in mana world would be on the lower end of the scale in terms of artist experience where ragnarok would be mid to high end. I can't really be any more helpful than that.

Edit: Heres something else you might find useful.
Specifically on the topic of sprite work, the speed of each artist is different but personally a 32x32 character sprite would be maybe 20-30 minutes of pixel work for the initial sprite and half or less than that for each frame or pose. That is a figure for only pixel work assuming I know exactly what I intend to draw, don't forget to factor in time spent on revisions and other pre-spriting work that may need to be done (developing a style, character design, level planning etc.).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:23:33 pm by 32 »

Offline FoxTail

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:46 pm
Thanks, very useful information.

Edit: Heres something else you might find useful.

yup, Fools arts are all fantastic, i always look on his pictures in pixeljoint