AuthorTopic: [C&C] : Chinese infantry.  (Read 7227 times)

Offline KevinTrepanier

• View Profile

[C&C] : Chinese infantry.

on: January 31, 2011, 04:30:06 pm
Hi all,

I'm working on a Pikeman from medieval china. I'm kind of happy with how it's turning out but hopefully you guys here can point the weak points of the piece.

Here's the standing frame, I haven't done any animation yet. It's 18 colors including transparency. There's a 3 colors gradient used for some details. I plan on changing the hue of this gradient to easily differentiate enemies from allies. Here's an example in different "faction" colors.

QUIZ!! : What do you think is on his belly?

And here's the evolution of the piece on different background colors and in gray tones.

Let me know what you think and how it can be improved upon. Hopefully one day I'll get good enough at this that I'll be able to contribute to the forums here too. Thanks for your time!

[Edit:] Figured I might as well make all the clothes of the "allegiance color".

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:58:25 pm by KevinTrepanier »

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Re: [C&C] : Chinese infantry.

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:39:32 am
I think you should keep the outline on the spear.

Offline KevinTrepanier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:12:46 am
Here's a bit more.

A chinese castle (based on Himeji Castle : http://onegaijeanchan.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/himeji-castle-himeji-japan.jpg),
+ some tiles.

The perspective of the characters doesn't fit the castle though.. Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

Offline KevinTrepanier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:41 pm
Here's an update on the castle. Slightly changed the perspective to fit the character better. More work on the texture and details. Still looking for your impressions, C&C.

Thanks!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:00:17 pm
Sprites look nice for a start, but I think at least one part of the scene will have to be redone because the perspectives of the castle and samurai do not match up at all, period. The samurai is seen as if from the side, while the castle's seen from an almost top-down view. You'll have to fix one before going on unless you want it to be like this.

Also, what's with the size? Is the samurai a giant or is the castle a miniature replica or something?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:08:42 pm by pistachio »

Offline KevinTrepanier

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:11:00 pm
THanks pistachio. I understand these issues and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it just yet. I'm kind of playing with a symbolic representation here more than a realist one (like Ogre Battle SNES, the characters are as big as town and are actually a group of units, not just one character).

The soldier represents a hundred soldiers (as to limit the number of units on display and make it easier and more agreeable to read for the player).

In a few words : there are still a lot of important decisions to be taken!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:47:54 pm
THanks pistachio. I understand these issues and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it just yet. I'm kind of playing with a symbolic representation here more than a realist one (like Ogre Battle SNES, the characters are as big as town and are actually a group of units, not just one character).

The soldier represents a hundred soldiers (as to limit the number of units on display and make it easier and more agreeable to read for the player).

Oh, so this is for a game of sorts?

My point, however, still stands. Whether it's one soldier or a hundred the perspective is still off. I might make an edit just for the heck of it, but I think you get the idea.

Anyway, it was difficult to interpret one gargantuan soldier as an army of 100. Might want to consider implementing the number somewhere perhaps, or making the 'symbolism' idea more apparent, perhaps with a giant helmet or head or spear or something. Might turn out even more ridiculous than what you have now though..

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:40:37 am

Oh, so this is for a game of sorts?

My point, however, still stands. Whether it's one soldier or a hundred the perspective is still off. I might make an edit just for the heck of it, but I think you get the idea.

Anyway, it was difficult to interpret one gargantuan soldier as an army of 100. Might want to consider implementing the number somewhere perhaps, or making the 'symbolism' idea more apparent, perhaps with a giant helmet or head or spear or something. Might turn out even more ridiculous than what you have now though..

Maybe add a shield, and have the number of how many units available on the shield?