AuthorTopic: Girl portrait. Need help and critique  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Girl portrait. Need help and critique

on: April 02, 2011, 07:49:56 am
Hello everyone! ;D
I need to see my mistakes for improvement^

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Girl portrait. Need help and critique

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:09:50 pm
whoa whoa whoa whoa

Lots of things wrong here. If you were going for a realistic style your aim is really off. Looks more like a weird hybrid between realistic and some sort of poorly drawn anime/manga.

Is that hair, or a squid on her head? I'd like to see more individual strands. Also she must have a lot of hair gel or something, as it seems her pet squi--'hair' is defying gravity.

Eyes bugging out of her head or something (which I suppose is what causes the weird anime/manga hybrid look), and where's the pupil for her right eye?

Lips (and nose) seem to be on a wrong perspective. Seems like her jaw is protruding out somewhat.

Light source is about as off as the face. Some shading on outlines, giving some objects the impression they're flat.

Might wanna do yourself a favor and start studying faces, perhaps looking at your own in a mirror while you work to get a good grasp of proportion? Loomis' books could be a help here, though to be honest I'm not done with them myself. (Halfway through "Fun with a Pencil", going to start "Figure drawing" next. Not very relevant to this post though :P )
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:16:00 pm by pistachio »