AuthorTopic: GR#049 - RPG Characters  (Read 25290 times)

Offline Stava

• View Profile
Hello..
I really love the sprites but I don't think your style matches. When I work on some game that already has developed style, I rather try matching the style then working my own way.. I think you should use those original sprites to make a palette for yourself and work on shading the way it's done originally..
I've made a quick edit:

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile
Hello..
I really love the sprites but I don't think your style matches. When I work on some game that already has developed style, I rather try matching the style then working my own way.. I think you should use those original sprites to make a palette for yourself and work on shading the way it's done originally..
I've made a quick edit:
[snip]

Wow, Stava, your edit beat mine by a long shot. Probably the best one in this thread to be honest.

As for me, nothing much to say, but (@Marian) I suggest taking what's here in heavy consideration.

Offline Stava

• View Profile
Tyvm Pistachio, I'm glad you like it.
I forgot the other character..

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile
I just wanted to be careful.
Have an actual critique?

I'm guessing he goes through the forums specifically to look at pixel poon and peen & you disappointed him  ;)

Also, something that NONE of you have done with this hair is make it three dimensional CURLS. This is CURLY hair. That means that some strands will be on top of other strands and cast a shadow. I have yet to see that from anyone on this site... seemingly because you're all so incredibly anti-outline. Outline is NOT A BAD THING. I hate hair without outlines. It doesn't look like hair.

Your hair doesn't really look like hair either  ???
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:10:02 pm by infinitegames »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

I did a further re edit of Stava's sprite.

I have to balance out the shape of the hair and change the shadows mostly of her clothes then added some facial details since the sprite is large enough.
There is still too unnecessary colors on the sprite, and it's a hassle when you start doing animations.
If i have to make more changes, i would change her pants and boots because as an elven ranger she has to be quick and nimble..and the lower clothing is not helping  :lol:

[switched the quiver]

And finally MarianFrae, you really have to study this one
http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=221

It's one of the basic stuff you have to learn so the lines and curves you draw are smooth and free from jaggies.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:45:12 am by Froli »

Offline Stava

• View Profile
Good job on that edit Froli  ;D

I was trying to get the sprite to match ones he 1st posted.. I think you went off that though, but still good edit  :y:

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile
Yeah it definitely change style lol. I just pulled out the stuff I'm comfortable with and added it on the character.

I also think MarianFrae shouldn't go for complicated stuff, like curls in the hair? stick with some basic clean looking character for now.

Offline MarianFrae

• View Profile
Wow. That is fantastic... the only two things I dislike/don't understand is why you turned the baggy pants into tights. O_o They were intentionally baggy... and why the quiver has changed sides. From my experience, quivers normally run along the strap. I'll definitely study that edit and the link you provided.
Also, I think I'm gonna pause work on these characters and make some less complicated first--as has been suggested--so that when I return to these, they will be the best they can be.
Thank you all for your help.

Also, I'm female. :)