AuthorTopic: GR#049 - RPG Characters  (Read 25291 times)

Offline MarianFrae

• View Profile
Thanks, Elk. :)

Offline MarianFrae

• View Profile

Okay... I'm keeping the outlining because it doesn't look like curls if it's not outlined... it looks like hat hair--as evidenced by the hair only version by StaticSails.
That said, I can't figure out how to make this not look flat with the limited color pallet.

EDIT:

I tried editing it off of the original coloring... is this a little closer? At all?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:54:34 pm by MarianFrae »

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby
There's no actual nudity.

Offline MarianFrae

• View Profile
I just wanted to be careful.
Have an actual critique?

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile
I'm familiar with the HKCP, and I just want to point out that there's a reason no games have ever been made with it. Drawing tiles for sprites that huge is a tremendous undertaking, especially for the number of tiles the average RPG requires. I'm also honestly not fond of the template from a stylistic POV either. It has the same unattractive balloon-like quality the RMXP RTP has except bigger. I also think it's easier to learn good spriting habits if you start with something smaller, since you'll tend to get bogged down in detail and large numbers of colors at that size unless you know what you're doing.

I really don't recommend you try to make a game with HK sprites unless you already have tiles from somewhere that you can use, but it's your decision. You'd also probably learn more making your own template.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:28:36 am by Perihelion »

Offline MarianFrae

• View Profile
First of all--after much frustration and some intervention by those who love me... I've decided that the hair is staying as it is in the third column, first row of the last pic I posted. I've been working on this guy's HAIR for nearly a month now and am happier with it this way, obviously curly, than I am with it being non-outlined(hat hair) or more rounded(looks straight or flippy). I'm willing to try something different and take critique on anything but his hair. It stays, forevermore, as is.

Perihelion--I realize that the size creates a much greater work load for tiles but... I really prefer the amount of detail they allow the sprites. When I've attempted to add things to the smaller sprites, it has ended up being cluttered... so even if I made my own template, it would be close in size... however, I agree with you about the balloon-like style. Primarily for that reason, I'm considering making my own template.

Offline Âme

• View Profile
If you do make your own template (witch I certainly recomend :)) make it smaller, even if by only a few pixels, it will be an easier start to learn from.

Perihelion--I realize that the size creates a much greater work load for tiles but... I really prefer the amount of detail they allow the sprites. When I've attempted to add things to the smaller sprites, it has ended up being cluttered... so even if I made my own template, it would be close in size... however, I agree with you about the balloon-like style.

I realize smaller sprites can feel clutered but if you work at it they can help you learn to place more perfect "pixel clusters" and make details even more beutiful. My advice is to work your way up to larger sprites. Start small.They dont have to be like 30 pixels tall or anything, though. you know just smaller than now. happy pixeling! ;D

Offline heyy13

• View Profile
Have to run to class but this is the quick edit i did, i hope it's useful. :]

Contrast, watch colour count, make things three dimentional, don't texture at the loss of volume.

Offline MarianFrae

• View Profile
I will say again that I am not touching the hair any more. It's too taxing for me to work on it any longer.
Also, something that NONE of you have done with this hair is make it three dimensional CURLS. This is CURLY hair. That means that some strands will be on top of other strands and cast a shadow. I have yet to see that from anyone on this site... seemingly because you're all so incredibly anti-outline. Outline is NOT A BAD THING. I hate hair without outlines. It doesn't look like hair.

So, if you have something to suggest regarding CLOTHING or Iana's hair, please reply... otherwise, don't edit Garin's hair or write a post about it. It will only waste your time.
I greatly appreciate your help and input... but I simply cannot change Garin's hair at this time and be both happy and sane.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile
I was going to make a longer post, because the hair was the biggest thing I had a problem with, and I don't seem to be the only one. But you seem pretty angry and reluctant about it, for some reason. That's not to say the hair's the only problem. My main concerns are with banding. There's a heck of a lot of it, compared to the original sprites, and it surely can't be healthy. Edit coming soon, if I can just figure out where that dang light-source is. (Overhead, I presume?)

I'm going to quit talking about the hair now. I'm afraid to see what happens if I keep going...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:37:40 pm by pistachio »