AuthorTopic: I hear pirates wear stripes.  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

I hear pirates wear stripes.

on: August 17, 2005, 01:10:32 am
Let's call this the comeback, shall we?

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: I hear pirates wear stripes.

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 01:29:25 am
wow i love the shading, is he a french pirate? oh and whats with the large penis hangin off his face?
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 07:46:11 am
The colors , look pretty nice,  (esp those on the shirt); but you have quite a few, er... let's say "flesh" colors that are practically similar, so you might want to lower them for a smaller color count.
The AA on the shirt, (on the red lines) doesnt really work, and rather than making the shirt look smooth it makes it look jaggy and choppy.
Structure wise, either the head is too big or the shoulders too close together. The arms (actually the sleeves) looked sewed against the torso so you might want to check that aswell.

Show us more, I'd say  :)

Offline ironwallaby

• the pixel artist formerly known as nem
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 02:56:21 pm
Well, let's do the best thing we can for t3h c0mmuni7y and give a nice big c&c, eh?

First thing's first, I love your color selection. It's soft, slightly pastel, and suits the big piratey man perfectly.

Now, on his head, the top of it where his do-rag or whatever it's called is. The sides are beautiful. The pulls on the fabric and lighting there is superb. It came out fantastic. But then it just stops for the front! The wonderful depth and texture you brought on the sides leaves the flatness and dullness of the front of his forehead there sticking out even more. I suggest you go the extra mile up there and finish it off.

The eyepatch isn't bad, but the darkness of the shadowing should be all around the very edge of the thing, for maybe a pixel or two, being least in the top right and thicker as it approaches the rest of the shadow. You may want to do a fold, like on the bandanna, through the middle of it as well... it's leather, after all, and does fold (and is likely to). I think the band that holds it should be a pixel thicker or so.

Speaking of his eyes... for basic proportioining, you should move his eyes down like 12 pixels. His ears as well. Leave his cheeks in the exact same place... people's eyes are actually right in the center of their heads, not near the top. However, the ears are in proper placing relative to the eyes, they come up about the right height. I would, myself, say they could be a couple pixels longer, due to the size of his head. But I'm glad to see you didn't mirror it... it brings a bit more life into the picture.

I like the way you modelled his face... it's not realistic, but it's not supposed to be, and I like the styling (other than the aforementioned eyes... I think it'll be better if those are moved down, he'll look less alien). I think the creases above the edges of his mouth could be extended a bit to give more depth to his face... think like those great creases for the bandanna again.

His neck looks odd... you made it extend wider to reach up to his ears. Honestly, instead of working back outwards, I would suggest having them go straight up and end at his jawline. It would produce a much more natural appearance, I think.

I would also widen his shoulders. He's a big, burly pirate, and wider shoulders would do him well. I feel there ought to be a bit more shading depth in his body as well.

All in all, skipper, I like it. You're deinitely doing great with some of those folds and creases! I think the only real problem I have with it is the proportioning. Kudos, and congrats at hopping back in to pixel work... I havn't yet... I should soon :p

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:43:43 pm
*EDIT by Mod*
keeping things clean.
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 11:22:34 pm by Alex Hanson-White »
alexander

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 09:48:10 pm
oh man... ahkis, i don't know where you get your crack from but jeeeeeez....
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 11:23:28 pm
Sorry Ahliks, that is not acceptable..

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 11:31:16 pm
i apologize. Skipper, we have known eachother for a while now and i know you can do so much better. the shirt is really great but i know you can do a greater job on the face. its too mushed around and just un-natural. Id love to see a better face redone on this fellah.
alexander

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 11:32:02 pm
Hah, I don't know what Alex said, but it's probably something about the penis on his face. I mean, it really does resemble a penis, skip. I told you that on AIM, but hopefully you're making an edit.

The clothing looks spot on to me, man, you got really good out of NOWHERE.

The face, on the other hand, looks a bit deformed. Other than the nose :::ahem::: the eyes do look a bit high.

Other than that, it's great man. It's just in need of a few edits :::cough:::