AuthorTopic: GR#046 - RPG Bar Scene - Tiles  (Read 13756 times)

Offline CircleDrain

• View Profile

GR#046 - RPG Bar Scene - Tiles

on: March 24, 2011, 04:13:26 pm
I am making a bar, but well its so far, and I wanted to ask for critique.

Well thank you :P

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Tileset for a bar

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:58:35 pm
Your pallete colors are very similar making the picture hard to understand of what's what.'

Offline IvanM

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:27:13 pm
Hello,
I tried some edits on your picture:

- added dark outline to standing object
- floor was too much noisy: I removed the darker color, decrease brighter one, and "erase" some outline with a middle tone color. (<= hope this sentence is understandable)
- usually in this kind of rpg-like picture, walls tend to be darker on the bottom and brighter on top, that add some depth to the picture

very quick edit (left part only):

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:46:06 pm by IvanM »

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:39:34 pm
That guy did well with the left part.

For the right part:

With this quick edit I moved down the right wall, if you didn't notice that :D

You might of purposefully put that wall there but it confused me :L 
+1

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:11:27 am
DIRECTIONS: Take with grain of salt. This is my first critique.

I think the wall was moved up to make room for that darker area, which appears to be a raised floor. It's not just a really tall wall. ;) I recognized it right away, but maybe a shadow would make it more obvious? I don't know, RPG's in this style typically don't have shadows indoors do they?

I noticed you're using 55 (!) colors. In my opinion that is excessive. Here's some quick palette reductions. Of course it can look better than this if you tweak it a bit afterward.

I really like what IvanM did in his edit.

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:15 am
Ahh, ok. Try to make it more evident then :D
+1

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:30 pm

Quick edit: Lowering contrast on the floor makes the other things more distinct even without outlines.
Also, I added shadows for the stools and the suggestion of shadows where the back walls touch the side walls.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:32:53 pm
I think there's an issue that you're detailing the tiles rather than the scene.  If this set is for a bar/pub/tavern/inn, or really any setting, try thinking of things that can go in it to add interest without adding pixel noise.

For instance, when I think of a pub, today or way back (for some reason I'm going to the late victorian era with your palette), I come up with:

walls:
* narrow front windows across an entire wall, or nearly so.
* routinely built on a corner-lot, for 2 walls of windows.
* a nook or two
* shelves with bottles
* photographs, papers, advertisements, and other flat memorabilia
* soot from cigarettes, cigars, and in old times kerosene lamps or even candles depending - concentrated near the ceiling.
* tchotchke
* heating. these are warm places.  a hearth should be found somewhere in any bar built pre-war, even if it's closed up.
* coathooks and hathooks, generally under the counter in front of the barstools, as well as by the door.

floors:
* boards stamped and pounded so hard you can only tell the cracks if they've been replaced or are otherwise a different color from the boards next to them.
* pits, stains and scratches more visible than cracks or wood grain.
* Straw and peanut shells on the floor - a necessity, grouped under furniture and in corners.
* if there are cracks, they're actually lighter than the boards, because they're filled with pulverized bits of the above.
* a particularly smooth, ashy ring in the largest standing area or most-used path of traffic.
* tobacco stains everywhere

I can imagine a very engaging bar with very little texture/noise and even just half of these things.  don't spend so much time on individual tiles, spend time creating an environment and then detail if you still feel the need to once that's done.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 06:33:08 pm
Behind the bar, I suggest some shelves on the wall with bottles of alcoholic beverages. other walls could have paintings, advertisements, a coat of arms. Maybe put a piano on that raised area? Tables would also be good.

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 07:42:04 pm

Quick edit: Lowering contrast on the floor makes the other things more distinct even without outlines.
Also, I added shadows for the stools and the suggestion of shadows where the back walls touch the side walls.

Ahhhh, very good edit. Is the bit on the right a stage then? You could have a small piano (As said before) and maybe a guitar stand?
+1

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 10:07:54 pm

Just messing around, haven't added any objects in yet, the floor hasn't been placed properly at all...but what i noticed, for me at least, is that your shapes get lost in the grain of things and your colors fall flat.  This has very limited texture, the hearth is a placeholder and like i said is missing the furniture, bottles, postings, straw on the floor, etc that would make this even more engaging, but i think already you're sucked in better, particularly by the introduction of windows and warm/cool contrast.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 06:16:13 am
What a great edit!   :y:

With low resolution, you gotta use color, it helps the shapes and details read clearly. Introducing a set of color harmonies adds a lot of visual interest to the scene. It makes a location memorable and distinguishable in the player's mind. Also, in rooms with a lot of texture, don't forget to give the player places to rest her eyes. You can even use them like accents -- maybe the floor is textured but the top of the bar and the stools have simple interior shading.

In the edit, if the tops of the walls blend better into the black background it could improve the scene's sense of depth. Otherwise, the transition is so distinct that the room looks suspended mid-air.

Offline CircleDrain

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 08:08:59 pm
A very big thanks :)

I gonna edit it asap.

Have a lot to do.

But a big big thank you for so much tips and edits. I try to make it ;)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 02:22:41 pm

Just messing around, haven't added any objects in yet, the floor hasn't been placed properly at all...but what i noticed, for me at least, is that your shapes get lost in the grain of things and your colors fall flat.  This has very limited texture, the hearth is a placeholder and like i said is missing the furniture, bottles, postings, straw on the floor, etc that would make this even more engaging, but i think already you're sucked in better, particularly by the introduction of windows and warm/cool contrast.
Man thats awesome advice and edit.