AuthorTopic: RPG sprites  (Read 4352 times)

Offline what

• View Profile

RPG sprites

on: March 23, 2011, 09:43:36 pm
Heyo. Really sorry for my last few train-wrecks. I just was not capable of finishing the sprite. (or posting that on the thread. lol.) However, this has taught me, that at this stage in my pixel-art career, i should stick to smaller sprites until i improve.

I have started an RPG, and i need critiques on the overworld sprites. They are not great, as are the pallets. I'm limiting myself to 4 colors per 16 by 16 area. (i will probably get lazy and change this.)

Running down:   Standing down:
Running left: Standing left:
Running up: Standing up:

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Re: RPG sprites

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:22:38 am
Trainwrecks or not, you stuck to your last one for a good while. You're obviously trying hard, keep going and you'll get better!  ;D
First thing I noticed about your sprite here is that it has 5 colours; black, grey, green, brown, and the skin colour. If you're working at a small resolution like this with a tight palette restriction you have to pay very close attention to the colours you choose. These will define your character. Iconic characters like Mario, Mega Man, and Link are memorable partly because of how well their colours work together.
At the moment your sprite is very bland looking. Who is this little person supposed to be? Is that a helmet or gray cone hair? It's hard to tell what he is supposed to represent because he has no defining qualities.
Good luck!

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:49:31 am
While starting small is a good idea for new learners, you may be starting too small. Having to fit an entire character into an area that small requires a lot of shortcuts and fancy tricks that take a while to pick up, so I'd recommend you go with simpler, larger images, such as 32x32 tiles or something like that.

As for those sprites, the first thing you should do is eliminate the black outlines. In a sprite this small every pixel counts, and the outlines frankly waste a lot of that space. It could also do with some shading, even if you have to stray from your color limit. What really confuses me is that the only part that is shaded is the shoes, which are maybe the least important part of the character. You could use a solid color for those and put another on the body, or even use their highlight as a shade for the skin.

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:58 pm
The thingy on the first sprites was a hat. Just making that clear. I have changed the hat to good old fashioned purple hair. I haven't animated the hair yet. I just wanna make sure it looks ok first.

@phlakes:
I think I'll change to 32X32 if these sprites turn out badly, and I also have screwed the limiting. As an amateur, i think i shouldn't be limiting my pallets yet.

walking down facing down
walking left   facing left
walking up facing up

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 04:43:36 pm
The thingy on the first sprites was a hat. Just making that clear. I have changed the hat to good old fashioned purple hair. I haven't animated the hair yet. I just wanna make sure it looks ok first.

@phlakes:
I think I'll change to 32X32 if these sprites turn out badly, and I also have screwed the limiting. As an amateur, i think i shouldn't be limiting my pallets yet.

walking down facing down
walking left   facing left
walking up facing up

I disagree, as a beginner you should limit your palette. You'll learn a lot more on how to use colours to your advantage if you can only fool around with 4 of them.

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:46 pm

Bumpdate. 4 colors (plus transparency). i checked. this time i'm right. the up sprites kinda look awkward. i edited them a little since last time.