AuthorTopic: Random stuff C&C  (Read 4362 times)

Offline d00de

• View Profile

Random stuff C&C

on: August 23, 2011, 04:06:48 pm
Well, I'm trying to practice in pixel by drawing the first things that come in my mind. This time it was a frog :crazy:

I'm looking for your precious advices and critiques about this one! I'm not sure about the palette i used, the borders on the hind legs and I can't make the forepaws look detached from the body!
These are just some of the issues which I think that shoud be fixed.

Of course, post some other random stuff if you want!  ;D

Offline d00de

• View Profile

Re: Random stuff C&C

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:34:18 pm
I added some darker lines at the forepaws, some green spots on them and changed some colors

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:27:08 am
I think the skin texture has too much contrast which flattens any sense of form in the front legs etc. and the little dark shadows under the dark green patches make it worse. Maybe get rid of the texture and focus on the shading first until u r happy, then go over with some more subtle texturing.

Offline d00de

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:26:42 pm
Thanks for the comment! I'll see what i can do and post it as soon as I can! :y:

Offline d00de

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:07:43 am
Here's what I've done. I spent many hours on this but still can't have a decent result ???
I worked on shadows before texturing, but maybe i mistake something when put the colors in, moreover I can't understand if i'm using the right colors to rend the shadows...I looked at this so many times, I'm so confused!  :'(

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 01:48:28 am
Looks more interesting now and I like what u did with the right foot but I think the right knee should be adjusted somehow so it isn't symmetrical with the other knee since the footing varies.
Try increasing contrast in the ligh/shadows to simulate sunlight.
Have u thought about moving primary light source off centre to make it more interesting?
Then u can add a subtle blue highlight in the shadow area to simulate sky reflection.
I don't think his pectorals would pick up that much sunlight or be that clearly defined, more likely they would be shadowed but u can add another turquoise colour light source underneath to bring out the forms in the shadowed area.

does that help give u some ideas to move forward?

Offline d00de

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:31 am
Of course! thank you a lot! now i'm trying to re-do that in a different way, i'll post results when i think it could be worth to be see  ;)

Offline d00de

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:06 pm
well, i think it isn't getting better :/
any practical suggestion? should i re-do this from the beginning or is there a way to fix it? maybe should i do some 32x32 sprites before pixeling bigger subjects?
i think my biggest issue is which colors should be used and how to do that (even if i read some tutorials on colors and so on).

Offline Shiny

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 08:04:19 pm
It's really starving for contrast, and their right hind-leg doesn't appear to be attached to that foot.
And please consider dropping the overpowering magenta background.

Anyways, here's a rough edit of your most recent work that might give you a few ideas:

Offline d00de

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:21:55 pm
Maybe it's getting better  :) thanks for your edit Shiny, that was helpful!

here's what i've done until now, i focused on the frog itself, not on the rock. plus i've added the palette i used

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:33:04 pm by d00de »