AuthorTopic: Sunset Ocean  (Read 10192 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Sunset Ocean

Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 03:36:14 pm

I think something like this works well. What I did was make a curved line at the top of the sky and then fill it with the vertical contour gradient thingy, of course you have to remove the clouds and sun for that and make sure you have an even line at the bottom as well. but it's simple enough to make a version where you remove all the orange and then paste the clouds and sun back in afterwards.

I like the colours in this, very vibrant.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:35 pm
An unexpected upgrade! The style is totally different now, but the aesthetics are way better. I can actually look at this and enjoy it now. Only 4 colors.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 09:54:32 pm
You're doing a bit better now. Bit of cleanup could be used on the ocean. The gradient could be a bit more circleish. And ptoing, I am digging that edit.

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 04:41:44 am

It took me some time to figure out where the feature you were talking about is, ptoing. Once I tracked it down much fun was had doing completely ridiculous edits. Amazing feature set there, thanks for pointing it out!

I've tried a lot of edits to try and make a boat work and I have arrived here. It looks like a toy, which is okay with me. The boat's wake is shit. If I do another edit past this I'll clean it up.

I tried to make the old clouds work with the noisy gradient stuff and could not find anything that worked. I like these stringy simple clouds. They are not as dramatic as what I started with, but they work.

The birds. I don't know. The bird looking directly at us is totally contrived, but I am going to keep it. Without it, the birds facing the other way look like purple blobs because that is what they are.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:44:43 am by AnnIshman »

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 04:34:00 pm

I hope you (and others too!) can appreciate how far this has come. From being something almost pointless to something fairly impressive this has gone through quite a bit.  Good job.

Now I think that the dithering could use some solid clusters, specifically in the ocean and it's waves. The boat's wake could use quite the opposite. Play with dither AAing on that boat.

Very amazing progress, sorry I doubted you.