AuthorTopic: Gunship design~  (Read 4307 times)

Offline linx

• View Profile

Gunship design~

on: March 19, 2011, 04:22:28 am
Ola pixellers, I'm working on a gunship design for a friend.  Problem is... i've never done any gunship/ship/vehicle related projects.  I'm working on the "form" of it at the moment, and i was hoping to get some critique on it before i move on with anything.  I'm hoping from the project i can learn a bit about designing things like ships though ;)

Note: The AA is from me rotating and then editing it because he wanted it in a certain view.  I'm going to go over the sprite in a new layer, so disregard that for now please :)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Gunship design~

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:39:42 am
For me, it looks a bit too organic, like you basically scribbled down some sort of blobbish shape and then filled in the details. I understand this is your first try, though. Heck, even I'm not very good at making things like these. So all I can recommend is actually studying some mechanical things, spaceships and whatnot, however fictional they may be.

There's this little program called Alchemy, too if you're willing to fiddle around with it until you get something decent.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:01:32 pm
Ola pixellers, I'm working on a gunship design for a friend.  Problem is... i've never done any gunship/ship/vehicle related projects.  I'm working on the "form" of it at the moment, and i was hoping to get some critique on it before i move on with anything.  I'm hoping from the project i can learn a bit about designing things like ships though ;)

Note: The AA is from me rotating and then editing it because he wanted it in a certain view.  I'm going to go over the sprite in a new layer, so disregard that for now please :)

The first thing that I notice is that it doesn't look really aerodynamic at all, lots of big bulging shapes that looks like it's not going to streamline it a lot. Another thing is that it looks really stubby, I think you want a much sleeker design that'll cut through the air like a warm knife in butter.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:06:24 pm
Way too big.
There's random blurring/AA all around, as if you use Photoshop and used the eraser, or blur, or brush tools by accident.
A gunship with no guns?
Very blobby/formless. Do some quick sketches on paper first. It's obvious you sat down in front of your comp with no idea what you might draw, but began splashing down pixels anyway. You need a plan.

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:12:07 pm
Way too big.
There's random blurring/AA all around, as if you use Photoshop and used the eraser, or blur, or brush tools by accident.
A gunship with no guns?
Very blobby/formless. Do some quick sketches on paper first. It's obvious you sat down in front of your comp with no idea what you might draw, but began splashing down pixels anyway. You need a plan.

I think this is his quick sketch. I agree though, work on some rough sketches on paper before going in to pixelmanipulate.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 01:24:36 am
Mm alright, Mathias you made good points  :-\
He wants this to be somewhat realistic (proportions wise) and this is the size of the soldier
so.. how big should i make the ship then?
As far as guns, i completely forgot to add them  :'(
I explain in the first post why it has AA in certain places :P

New sketch though (not pixel this time :o)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:28:26 am by linx »

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:12 am
Hmm, if there are no further gripes with the design should i start pixelling it?  Sorry for the bump though, I have a bit of a time limit  :P.  I'll go study some ship designs a bit more, and if I have no more critiques here, i'll tweak what i think might need to be and start pixelling.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:35:27 am
Flesh out the design MUCH more before you start pixelling. what you have now pretty much makes no sense, It's a mostly just a blob with shapes that could mean anything.

You need to work on the construction of this to make it look belivable.
Look up some other ships, and get an idea for what you want to do,