AuthorTopic: [WIP]Forest Scene  (Read 9799 times)

Offline Greger

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Forest Scene

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 02:16:28 pm
Trying a different method for the grass although I'm worried it looks a bit more like sea oats than grass now. Changed tree texture, flipped the rock to conform with the light direction.

I guess the sword is looking okay. perhaps I should add a stronger shine in the blade.

I think going with a more blueish tint (maybe even redish?) on the sword could make it pop out more. It doesn't quite look metallic right now.
Personally I think the background sticks out too much now, the leaves in the background near the sword is too easy to see what it is. Maybe make it solid instead of as spread out as it is now?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 04:24:24 pm
Looks quite nice so far, tho I have to say the blade looks a bit puny in relation to the grass and all that. I would probably make it at least 1.5 times bigger.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 04:47:10 pm
It's looking very nice so far. Here's the bad news: You're not half-way, I think.

That extra polish step on the aa and cluster construction is what'll make this shine. You have redundant colors and a need for sharpness in some cases. You need to work every cluster of pixels to behave well with the ones around it. You think you're close to done because it looks together, the image coheres. But you're not because every single shape and line in there stands a few more passes. Is what I am saying making sense to you?

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 06:04:48 pm
It's looking very nice so far. Here's the bad news: You're not half-way, I think.

That extra polish step on the aa and cluster construction is what'll make this shine. You have redundant colors and a need for sharpness in some cases. You need to work every cluster of pixels to behave well with the ones around it. You think you're close to done because it looks together, the image coheres. But you're not because every single shape and line in there stands a few more passes. Is what I am saying making sense to you?

Yeah, wow. I didn't realize how unpolished it was until seeing that edit, thanks. My plan was to work more on the aa around the focal point and leave the outer areas a little less refined.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 06:47:14 pm
Why? I mean, I can understand 'so that I can finish this eventually', but otherwise I don't think that's a good idea.

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 07:01:13 pm
I just want there to be a pretty strong point of focus. I mean if I were to refine everything and have everything as detailed as the rocks/sword it wouldn't read well. Like if I were to detail mountains in the distance as much as mountains in the foreground it might be confusing. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I've always understood it, it helps with time (not that time is a matter) but also that's what I've always seen in traditional paintings and such. ::)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 07:09:33 pm
True, you should not detail everything to the same standard (foreground/background), but you should AA everything I think. Not AAing part of it and going "because of focal point" is a pretty bad argument. If you want a good focal point you plan the drawing out first and make a good composition. You can do all kinda of stuff, like having more intense colours around the sword, having that area be brighter, having certain lines lead there or whatnot. Just not AAing the surroundings will look pretty poop I think.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:25 am
I mean if I were to refine everything and have everything as detailed as the rocks/sword it wouldn't read well.

I urge you to challenge that notion. There are many schools of painting as there are human beings. Not all desires are equal and what your image would gain from the baroque, heavy detailwork that would tire the eye of the viewer initially, it might gain in richness and depth. I am not saying go render every speck of dust on every surface, but let's look at this:

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:39 am
In my opinion the only method of AA that can be used for composition is too much AA for objects out of focus. But I'm not very good with composition. Either way I agree with the above, there are much better ways to create a focal point that doesn't involve sacrificing refinement.

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 05:46:37 pm
Something I noticed is this area

It draws your eyes away from the focal point (the sword)Im not sure exacly how to fix this but you could try darkening it or adding a few trees in front. Another idea I had to focus on the sword would be to add a beam of light coming from above, on to the rock and the sword.  ;)