AuthorTopic: Real-time pixel art collaboration software: does it exist?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
Is there any software that lets two or more people collaborate on a piece of pixel art in real time? as in, one person changes a pixel and it's changed in both places? Preferably it should have a chat system embedded in it. Also a way for each person to have private copies in case the other person does something they don't like to the working copy.

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Re: Real-time pixel art collaboration software: does it exist?

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:47 am
IIRC OpenCanvas has a networking feature with chat. Used it a lot for doodling with friends back in the day. I'm not sure how well it can be used for pixel art though.
EDIT: It's apparently free for 30 days to try and then it save locks. http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:27:02 am by michelcote »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:22:11 am
The new versions of OpenCanvas don't have the networking feature, only up until 1.1b72, which was free at the time. It's still pretty easy to find on the net. But I would not recommend using it for pixel art.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:25:17 am
I guess you could try using PaintChat, the oekaki thing. That at least is better than MSPaint, but still not great.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 04:28:00 pm
Seems that there aren't that many if any programs for this. Maybe some talented programmer and pixel artist will make one someday, you could have a event where two people from the forums would have to collaborate, not knowing each other's forum names, kind of like the Secret Santa thing I saw on the other forum. There could be a predefined subject, et cetera. I'm certainly not going to try to create a program for networked pixel art real-time collaboration, I don't want to mess with networking code at this time (besides not feeling like taking a bunch of time to do something that I am not that interested in doing).