AuthorTopic: Website layout. - now with 50% less racism!  (Read 15438 times)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: Website layout. - now with 50% less racism!

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 09:39:34 pm
It isn't any much more pleasing if it's a white guy either. It's just that... there's three guys on a long vertical empty strip, and A HANGED GUY.

i agree (and i think helm is very funny) , it just sets a strange mood.  this actually got me thinking about the issue... a twitching hanged person in a kids cartoon would likely cause uproar, but a skeleton would be slightly morbid, but less likely to cause a higher age rating.  is this becuase of the immediacy of the act?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 10:12:31 pm
a pixel portrait of that picture you have on your myspace would own. you could put it in the top right and have a logo to it. :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 10:21:52 pm
lol....myspace....

I wouldnt really be against the idea fo a hanging person if it added to the layout in some significant way, but it (or really anything else on your page) doesnt really fit that bill.  i suggest looking at other sites with a pixel layout like st0ven's old page and try to do something bigger and more interesting.  perhaps when you have content in the window will look better.  everything you have done is nice, but for a website layout, the tiny characters and the tiles especially make it look plain.  large things take more work, but frankly look better. 

Nate out :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 11:00:03 pm
a pixel portrait of that picture you have on your myspace would own. you could put it in the top right and have a logo to it. :)

Actually I did start on something similar to that once upon a time.

I thought it was shit and quit working on it :p

Esker: I have a strange fixation with stringing people up to posts/trees. I haven't done it much in pixels, but there are many a person hung in my sketchbooks :p

The problem with a logo, is I don't have a good name :O

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 12:51:28 am
I say bring back the hanging black person. It was cool.
WTF?

Umm, I think I came in too late to see the hanging black dude, but yeah, you wouldn't have been able to explain why you had a hanging black dude on your site to everyone, and it's pretty much in human nature to draw conclusion from their own experience or past events. People would be offended, invevitably, instantly drawing the conclusion from historical events. I, for one, would be offended if I was browsing a site and came across a black dude hanging for no apparent reason. In fact, why do you want a hanging dude there anyway? Honestly, there are much better (and more appealing) ways of displaying your artistic skills. One important aspect of being an artist, I believe, is the ability to create things that have meaning or are original creations. If nothing more, have a tasteful display of skill.

As for the actual art, I actually like the grass and gallows, but I think that the layout would benefeit from losing the tiled feeling in the dirt. Also, a common theme would be nice, instead of a stylistically uncohesive hodgepodge of characters that seem to be oblivious to one another. Perhaps some interaction between them would be nice?

I just saw this:
Esker: I have a strange fixation with stringing people up to posts/trees. I haven't done it much in pixels, but there are many a person hung in my sketchbooks :p
If you really want to continue with the hangman theme, maybe have a suitable environment, like an eerie marsh with (more) bodies floating around and a crocodile hungrily licking his chops...? Or a bloody asylum with a straight-jacketed psycho in the corner and people asfixiated to various pipes, poles, and maybe hanging from a live wire or something. Seriously, if you wanna hang someone ya gotta be creative.

Oh yeah, yay, Pittsburgh, PA. [Hometown]

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 05:48:22 am
Okay, added some more dead things. I've got tweaking to do in to them, such as adding a shadow and maybe tossing the ambient lighting on the other two. Also, I second the yay pittsburgh. New background as well, should be somewhat easier on the eyes.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 05:05:17 pm
You could make a hanging-man(and hanging-woman!) sprite for every skin-tone group on Earth, so nobody will think that your penchant for grim and violent imagery is unfairly focused.

On an Actually Useful Note, the purple guy doesn't fit with the other three so well (I think it is because he is bigger and has brighter softer-looking light/colors). =) Considered individually I like them very much but together they don't seem cohesive.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 08:09:04 pm
I say bring back the hanging black person. It was cool.

i should fucking bitch slap you. sorry about my profanity but that was so not necessary...

edit: i also find it very humorous that i get in trouble for language and behavior, while a racist thread such as this can just be untouched.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 08:12:13 pm by Alex »
alexander

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 08:40:23 pm
If anyone makes a racist comment about hanging black guys being cool or anything like that from now on i will ip ban their asses. Consider this a warning GND.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 08:42:20 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 09:01:11 pm
GoodNightdestroyer's comment was obviously irony about the excessive drama over misinterpreted racism.

The only person that may have been guilty of (wrongfully accused) racism has appologised and changed the offending piece. Maybe if you did the same, Alex, you wouldn't feel so persecuted. Maturity and all.