AuthorTopic: Website layout. - now with 50% less racism!  (Read 15430 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Re: Website layout.

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 12:33:35 am
David: I didn't think to well into the title relating with the hung man :o. I just grabbed a quote from SotN that stuck out in my head. Title is changed, though.

I personally don't see it as racist in the least. I was hoping to get more comments about the art than comments along the liens of "zomg racism." As that was not my goal.

A few views from people in IRC that for the most part, I agree with.
[20:49] <Drag> The racist people are the people who are saying hanging a black guy is racist.
[21:12] <bbitmaster> lol setz, you could make all the whiners happy by putting a white guy hanging beside him

The way I feel it's not an issue unless you make it an issue, suprisingly this is the only community that's even said somethign about it, and this was actually the last place I expected it to happen. I'll apologize if anyone is offended, I myself don't live in the 1960's and have a sense of humor [note: not saying the image is supposed to be comedic at all]. Please, no drama ;p

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 12:52:00 am
When making art, everything must be considered, especially when it strays from your norm.  From your other sprites, it seems you're used to pixeling white people, and so when you decided to pixel that hanged guy, for some reason you chose to make him black.  Ask yourself, why did you make that choice?  We don't know, so we can only guess at that choice by applying social context.  And in the past blacks have been discriminated against.  So we can only assume that you're trying to make a point about having a hanging black guy nearby.  And when you have three white guys nearby, one of them who is giving a THUMBS UP of all things, how can you not expect it to seem racist?

I personally don't see it as racist in the least. I was hoping to get more comments about the art than comments along the liens of "zomg racism." As that was not my goal.

Don't be rediculous.  This is about the art, and the most artistic part of art rather than the techincal crap.  You should learn to be careful and think about your subject choices and what they mean.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:55:20 am by Darien »

Offline Billeh

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 01:12:29 am
Even if y our intentions were, as you say, not racist it certainly would come across as so. Its generally safer not to hang people as your subject matter. Just food for thought.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 03:06:01 am
[note: not saying the image is supposed to be comedic at all]

??? Then what WAS your intention? I don't care if you are hanging an anime-black guy or a black comedian; if you show a black person being lynched - regardless of their profession or existence - its going to seem intentionally rascist.

And.

<Drag> The racist people are the people who are saying hanging a black guy is racist.

Thats probably the dumbest shit i've ever heard.

Jesus christ, this is why I hate being American.

EDIT: Just to make this post uesful, I would consider the texture of various terrain. Your randomized spraying of dots over the grass doesn't do much.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:09:19 am by Darion »
@darionmccoy

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 06:01:16 am
   Once again, I've caused another heated debate. Ok look, I'm sorry for focusing merely on one pic, than the whole piece as a whole. However, let me point out that I am by no means backing down from my claim. The point of this forum is to better any piece submitted by using helpful crits to better the look of that certain piece. From my stand point, I feel that the website would look much cooler without an african american hanging from a post. It may be possible that you could also try and claim that you did not see any color in your choice by choosing to hang an African American. But if so, than why African American? Why not any other race, who hasn't been victim to such horrible deaths? And if you use the depiction for artsy purposes, than I must say, it still doesn't work. 
   You could try and back your reason for not changing by calling me racist. Fine, I don't mind. However, when the majority of people in this forum begin to agree in unision of the same problem, than maybe it isn't your original backing claim, and maybe it could indeed use a touch up. Cause after all, is that not the point of a website's design? To look pleasing to the eye, to invite the viewer? And it's not like you have to get rid of it entirely. I would seriously take Lief's advice and just change it into a rag doll, or worn skeleton. I believe it would look much better, and would better suit the web sites cartoony design.
   Aside from that, I would like to see more icons, and designs added to the site. It's lookin' bare bones at the moment, and I'm curious to see where this sucker heads. The background tiles do need to be cleaned up a smidge. Maybe, where ever there is a text box on the web page, there could be a cave imprint that would fit it inside the hill/plataeu. Also, some large dark trees in some quite random spots should help spice it up if you ask me.
   This bieng said, I have spoken my peace. And remember, if any thing, you didn't offend me. I'm just afraid you may cause a stir in the community, forever staining your credibility as a mature artist. You choose your own path, and if you stick with it, than so be it. You are most definitely entitled to your opinion, whether it be serious or comedical, as it is your natural birth right. But as far as my eyes are concerned, the hanging of an African American can be done much more respectfully in an artistic manner. This, definitely does not show any maturity in that subject area. Cause quite frankly, depicting an African American hanging from a post is not only immature, it is most definitely NOT FUNNY....even from the zombie point of view...

Thank you for listening, The B.O.B.
my back hurts...

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 06:33:02 am
Oh yeah, sorry for not commenting on the layout.  Let me first say that I made my argument not to attack you for having the hanging black man, as I do not think you meant it to be racist (I just think it was careless) and I think you need to realize that people will interpret art in social context and just because this isn't the 60's doesn't mean those issues aren't still around.  The 60's aren't that far gone.  Racism still exists.  You have to acknowledge these facts and realize that this issues will be taken in account when confronted with a controversial image such as a hanged black man.  Also remember that your website is meant to represent you and your interests.  I hope hanging black men is not one of your interests.  I think it is in your best interest to remove the hanged man.

As for the layout, it doesn't really do anything for me.  The colors are nice though, and easy to look at.  The cliff/ground thing is really bland and I don't know if you should use a theme like that if you aren't going to do anything with it.  Maybe have some more interesting things coming of the cliff wall like plants and things so it's not just the same repeated pattern.  Also have the icon fit the theme rather than just random people.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 07:04:52 am
oh wow! I didn't notice the hanged black guy until it was mentioned here! I'm not one for political correctness but somehow that part of the layout just cannot be interpreted as irrelevant to my mind now that I see it. I don't know what you should do, but if you plan to get work with this website, you might consider taking that bit off. It isn't any much more pleasing if it's a white guy either. It's just that... there's three guys on a long vertical empty strip, and A HANGED GUY. If there were more elements then the eye could adjust between them, but now it seems like a point is being made. In the same way that I am not actually offended by say, exploding guts art if they were to be on your website, but it would be a bad career move to have them on there

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 08:15:17 am
As for the comments on the icons. . . . I quote myself again.
The main/art/info links are most likely temporary until I make something more fitting to the mood.
I was actually thinking about wooden signposts with the words printed on them, personally.

as for the hangman, after reading some more and thinking about it, I suppose it would be best to change it, I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone, A ragdoll/skeleton/alien/speciesandorobjectthatwontoffendpeople is in order.

I suppose I could break the grid/repeating tiles, that was actually just a lazy move by me, looking at it again, I feel the inside cliff walls could use more detail as well, similar to how they are on the bottom.

The B.O.B.: I like your idea about the tree, actually.

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Re: Website layout. - now with 50% less racism!

Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 03:27:21 pm
Personally I don't see the point in having a man hanging there it really doesn't add anything to your site in my opinion.

Some extra eyecandy on the site will improve it but I can't say I'm a fan of the hanging man. Unless you're into all that weird shit.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Re: Website layout. - now with 50% less racism!

Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 07:02:30 pm
I say bring back the hanging black person. It was cool.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.