AuthorTopic: [WIP] Moon cityscape  (Read 6818 times)

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

[WIP] Moon cityscape

on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:35 am
The clouds are still a bit flat and the moon needs some more texture (perhaps another colour added), as well as the building in the foreground; looks a bit plain.

Just need some C+C so I can move forward in the right direction! :) Thanks.

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Moon cityscape

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:03:54 am
The perspective is inconsistent. Some of the buildings are isometric. Isometric means distant objects don't appear smaller than close ones. Also, the camera in iso would never see the sky, it would be pointed at the ground (assuming a flat ground).

If you'll keep the moon, I suggest you shade it to make it solid and rounded. Right now it looks like a disc.

To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 01:07:48 am
Doing good with the antialiasing. There certainly is some banding on the clouds. Had a quick go at shading the moon, a really sloppy shading job on the clouds and a few other things:

Not very noticeable though. But overall I find the colors rather clashing. Perhaps going for a greyish blue for the moon would be better, or just making it smaller overall.

EDIT: Also, what Basketcase said, unless you were going for some sort of surreal effect which I figured was what you were aiming for. If I'm wrong the perspective does need some work.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:10:06 am by pistachio »

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:34:53 am
I'm aware of the inconsistent perspective. It's not intented as an isometric picture, that just happened to be the right angle for the buildings in the background. The foregorund building has a lower angle on it because it's closer to the viewpoint.

Pistachio: Your edit has helped heaps! I'll have a play with different colours for the moon.

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:50:41 am
The Following is very opinionated so dont what I am saying is how it should be  :)
I love the dithering out effect of the background building but that moon and I are going to have a fight.
Maybe it looks like cheese and I don't want it there.  Maybe make it less saturated (Color) and remove some Craters.

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:21:15 am
This is what it looks like if the building was isometric.
I don't think it suits, because this picture has layers, where as an isometric piece is generally a flat, consistant image.

Here is my new version with pistachio's edit taken into heavy consideration :). It seems like no one likes the moon, but I still at least want it yellow, so I've reduced the saturation and also added some shading to make it look less like a flat pancake.
I know the perspective of the shadows on the objects on the roof are differet to the building angle, but I think they line up with the moon correctly.
The clouds now look like actual clouds too.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 05:06:15 pm
The moon seems fine enough to me, I think it could be just a tad more orange. Just a tad.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:40:21 pm
what I don't like about the moon is that it is being shown with the city lights and the colors are similar.  By making them similar colors you make the moon part of the city.  It should have an entirely different color to make it seem different.  I am not sure what color would be good but maybe something like greenish white or blue.  Or just keep it orange.

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:54:59 pm
Just noticed that the AC and Antenna would have to be installed with people on top so there should be some safety.
Such as a Parapet (aka low wall) that surrounds the building so it look's more realistic.

I suggest dropping the inside to keep the same height instead of adding in Walls.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:29:34 pm
what I don't like about the moon is that it is being shown with the city lights and the colors are similar.  By making them similar colors you make the moon part of the city.  It should have an entirely different color to make it seem different.  I am not sure what color would be good but maybe something like greenish white or blue.  Or just keep it orange.

A blue moon? What the...?