AuthorTopic: [WIP] [Constructive criticism wanted] Mage/wizard attempt II - outline stage  (Read 11527 times)

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
Erm, maybe we should stop trying to snipe at him.  I think he gets the point.  :D

Believe me, after reading all this, I DO.

Everything was very interesting, thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'm sorry if I put you off.

Thinking further, I like yaomon's edit in principle, not just for the shading but for the ball. With my old 32x32 version it looked like he was shooting light/magic/what-have-you at something while facing forward, but that looked a bit strange because he was shooting it off to the side. This makes perfect sense.

Also a great way to deal with these "attacks" is to go out of your way to make a huge improvement on your piece. THAT'LL SHOW THEM!

You're so right, StaticSails! ;D As for improving my piece, I'll probably make a drawing now (on paper, as I don't have a tablet). I might get to scan it in sometime today, depending on when I find my scanner. It might be hard for me to get the anatomy right, but I'll try. Also I'll probably be using a different pose and intent, perhaps something with the wizard holding his light really high to light something, maybe a cavern or a patch of plains, up.

Offline SimTheDog

• View Profile
The neck on your version of the sprite is too thin in my opinion. It probably doesn't matter anyway.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
The neck on your version of the sprite is too thin in my opinion. It probably doesn't matter anyway.
What? What? A neck? Where? My sprite doesn't have a neck!

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile
instead of chatting, you could always post an update when you bump your thread. it's like 10 pixels tall and you've already got two nice edits.

i would give critique but have no idea where you're at right now and the edits basically cover it. I do think that working twice this size might help, starting too large is usually the problem but I think going too small poses its own difficulties for the beginner. that being said, this seems to be one of those cases where "practice sketching daily" is the best advice, the foundations most easily learned in the traditional media seem to be lacking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:34:38 pm by Cure »

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
Heh. As I said the project is cancelled, but I always like to respond when people say stuff. You should be thanking me for taking the time to respond, not sniping at me for chatting!
As a small status update: I forgot about the drawing yesterday. Maybe today...

EDIT: Since when are members supposed to try to moderate the forums?!?

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile
instead of chatting, you could always post an update when you bump your thread. it's like 10 pixels tall and you've already got two nice edits.
Agreed
Heh. As I said the project is cancelled, but I always like to respond when people say stuff. You should be thanking me for taking the time to respond, not sniping at me for chatting!
As a small status update: I forgot about the drawing yesterday. Maybe today...

EDIT: Since when are members supposed to try to moderate the forums?!?
I don't think we need to be thanking you for taking the time to respond. You've received some great edits and done nothing with them. You really should have thanked those people with some progress. That's really the best way to thank someone for taking THEIR time. Instead of taking your time to reply to everyone go take some time to work on this piece and post when you've got something. There's no character limit so you can work on that thing for a week then come back and reply to everyone in one post. It's a really efficient way of doing things IMO.
There's only so much other people can do for you. So just ATTEMPT something and take into consideration all the advice you've got. THEN you should post something.

Where I'm from we are expected not just to follow the rules but encourage others to do so. That's something my grandfather taught me at a really young age.
Where did you say the project was canceled?
[/snipe]
@Cure, I got your back bro.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
Seems like when a community as orderly as this one strives for a common goal, members and mods alike have the competence to stimulate good behavior and advise each other. The burden shouldn't fall completely on them.

Oh, and I wanted to clarify one thing I said earlier about outlines. It's not that this sprite is too small, period. I just feel it's too small to be using outlines on. Think about it, what's the minimum size you could use outlines to plot out an image? You can only go so small. I feel this sprite's size is below that threshold, that's all. Instead, simply penciling clusters would be better, forget outlines here.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
malkolmk, I don't think anyone should be required to feel thankful that you take the time to type 'What? What? A neck? Where? My sprite doesn't have a neck.'

Stop feeling sniped at, and just go with the constructive feedback you get.

I generally get annoyed when the members of this forum try to moderate for me, yes, but giving some helpful advice on how to structure your posts and avoid unnecessary bumping doesn't quite enter the zone of 'heavy moderation', don't you think? It's too close to 'general advice', really. A moderator's job is foremost to clean stuff when things get out of bounds, and this is still within. I think the members should be allowed to tip eachother off slightly about forum conduct. But us moderators have the final word.
' _ '