AuthorTopic: [WIP] [Constructive criticism wanted] Mage/wizard attempt II - outline stage  (Read 11533 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
Nice work pistachio, but this isn't the kind of critique I'm looking for at this stage. I'd rather really have critique about my shading and color choice. Thanks all the same, though, your post was really very interesting and it will probably be useful to me at some future date.

So you're not looking for contructive critique? Pistachio's edit does address problems with your shading - he adds more contrast and avoids shading/highlighting exclusively against outlines.

Ignoring someone's critique because "it's not what you're looking for" seems a bit silly. If you really want to improve, you need to be able to take in criticism even if it's not what you want to hear.

Agreed. It feels a little pretentious of you and off-putting for others to submit good crit only for it to be filtered out for no logical reason. Are you afraid to improve too quickly or something? Because pistachio's edit is leagues beyond your version, I suspect you can't understand the skill-gap between his creation and yours. And that's actually understandable. One can't progress simply because he wills it. Gotta practice, etc. But don't just ignore it altogether - since, like Mush brings out, it does assess the specific areas you want to improve, it just goes beyond that.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
Nice work pistachio, but this isn't the kind of critique I'm looking for at this stage. I'd rather really have critique about my shading and color choice. Thanks all the same, though, your post was really very interesting and it will probably be useful to me at some future date.

So you're not looking for contructive critique? Pistachio's edit does address problems with your shading - he adds more contrast and avoids shading/highlighting exclusively against outlines.

Ignoring someone's critique because "it's not what you're looking for" seems a bit silly. If you really want to improve, you need to be able to take in criticism even if it's not what you want to hear.

Agreed. It feels a little pretentious of you and off-putting for others to submit good crit only for it to be filtered out for no logical reason. Are you afraid to improve too quickly or something? Because pistachio's edit is leagues beyond your version, I suspect you can't understand the skill-gap between his creation and yours. And that's actually understandable. One can't progress simply because he wills it. Gotta practice, etc. But don't just ignore it altogether - since, like Mush brings out, it does assess the specific areas you want to improve, it just goes beyond that.

OK, I'm sorry! Can you all stop sniping at me now? And didn't you notice that I said it would be useful later? As far as I'm concerned this project is mostly finished as I can't add a face. I did *not* ignore it. It was very interesting. I'm sorry. I made a mistake, I guess. I did not just reject it as you noticed, so stop condemning me for it!  >:( >:( >:(

Now for heaven's sake lock this thread before I pull down my images around your ears!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
haha, no hard feelings

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

I feel the glowing ball will cast more light.  ;D

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
That's a very interesting edit, yaomon17, but it looks like you just scaled down Pistachio's version. And added a little glowing ball.

While I'm done with the project myself, I would appreciate some criticism on my shading, especially as I'm not too great at shading and I want to get better. I'll certainly practice with more sprites. Is there a really good tutorial that highlights shading?

PS: This forum's emoticons are great!

Offline Greger

• View Profile
That's a very interesting edit, yaomon17, but it looks like you just scaled down Pistachio's version. And added a little glowing ball.

While I'm done with the project myself, I would appreciate some criticism on my shading, especially as I'm not too great at shading and I want to get better. I'll certainly practice with more sprites. Is there a really good tutorial that highlights shading?

PS: This forum's emoticons are great!

Fix the anatomy issues before you work with the shading, because the shading is going to depend a lot on the anatomy.

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile
OK, I'm sorry! Can you all stop sniping at me now? And didn't you notice that I said it would be useful later? As far as I'm concerned this project is mostly finished as I can't add a face. I did *not* ignore it. It was very interesting. I'm sorry. I made a mistake, I guess. I did not just reject it as you noticed, so stop condemning me for it!  >:( >:( >:(

With smaller pieces like this you kind of need to deal with some details not being able to make it in. Most of the time they aren't needed though, what will eyes or a mouth add to this piece? Probably nothing. Keep these kinds of things in mind when you pick a style and res.

Also a great way to deal with these "attacks" is to go out of your way to make a huge improvement on your piece. THAT'LL SHOW THEM!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

I feel the glowing ball will cast more light.  ;D

Ah, thanks, Yaomon! I was looking for a good way to show this but didn't quite know how. Still that's a pretty cool sprite and an improvement even compared to mine!

Quote from: malkomk

I'm fairly sure he did. But there's no need to give credit, or for anyone to accuse anyone else of stealing as per the moment. The way I see it Yaomon is helping me help you learn how to improve. Actually we're all improving in the process. Sorry if that was a little confusing...

In addition, you shouldn't request for just one aspect of critique for your sprite. Proper anatomy's just as important as proper lighting--so all things should be taken in consideration. Even if you don't like what you get it's best to take it in anyway. Trust me, it'll help.

As for a good tutorial on lighting this one's a classic, and probably my favorite. I learned a lot reading it back in the day. It might seem complicated at first but don't worry, you'll learn. probably.

BRB, going to look for more tuts.

P.S., Maybe you shouldn't lash out at us all like that, even if you aren't really used to this whole "critiquing" thing, which I'm guessing is why.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:49:38 am by pistachio »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Er.. no. If you look closer you'll see he added highlights to show how strong light emmiting from the fireball would illuminate the wizard. There's a point to his edit. You shouldn't put off people's contributions without even considering what they're trying to tell you. After all, they are spending their free time trying to help you get better.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
Erm, maybe we should stop trying to snipe at him.  I think he gets the point.  :D