AuthorTopic: [WIP] [Constructive criticism wanted] Mage/wizard attempt II - outline stage  (Read 11525 times)

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
So here we go again.

It's currently in outline stage. I'm really quite happy with the outlines though  :)
Feel free to edit it and post it here so as to explain things or offer constructive criticism, just please don't use it or your edits of it in any games or anything without asking me first. As usual I would be very happy to recieve constructive criticism.

I'll probably start coloring it and add a spell sometime tomorrow.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
This is too small for outlines. Try blocking in your colors instead. Right arm too short.

Offline toaster

• View Profile
I agree his right arm is to short. I think it should be moved to the right a bit.
I like the pose.  :)

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
I like the pose.  :)
Thanks!
Colour it. Then it will be easier to critique it. :D
Believe me, I will.
This is too small for outlines. Try blocking in your colors instead. Right arm too short.
It's small because I didn't want to do something big and take ages to finish it. I agree, the right arm does seem a bit short. Posting a update soon.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
OK, initial coloring is finished. Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated! Here we go:

*rips ImageShack advertising off the image link*
Stupid self-promotional image hosters... :P

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile
Not sure where he is facing (Small picture  :/)  but it sorta looks like he is facing right,  if so his robe slit should be farther right.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile
Okay. So I tried to interpret what his skeleton might have looked like under all those robes to make sure it was consistent. It didn't seem so to start with but I wanted to check.

Sure enough, it does look a bit off, if not kind of stiff. For example his left arm seems longer than his right and he seems to lean over a bit too much. I think the position of the head is to blame, and also the rotation of the limbs.

Then I tried to correct the parts that were wrong and this is the result. Seems a bit more feminine than I'd like it to, but you probably wouldn't notice under the robes.

Now scaled down, lazily colored, shaded and cleaned up (somewhat), it puts on its robe and wizard hat.

Frankly I'm not sure how you could convey this even smaller. I didn't try yet but I probably will if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

EDIT: Here.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:34:08 am by pistachio »

Offline malkomk

• View Profile
Nice work pistachio, but this isn't the kind of critique I'm looking for at this stage. I'd rather really have critique about my shading and color choice. Thanks all the same, though, your post was really very interesting and it will probably be useful to me at some future date.

TheChannel: My original attention was for him to be facing straight ahead and I'm still probably going to keep it that way as changing the way he is facing would require major changes to the sprite.

EDIT: I'll be making some kind of face for this sprite tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:00:42 am by malkomk »

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce
Nice work pistachio, but this isn't the kind of critique I'm looking for at this stage. I'd rather really have critique about my shading and color choice. Thanks all the same, though, your post was really very interesting and it will probably be useful to me at some future date.

So you're not looking for contructive critique? Pistachio's edit does address problems with your shading - he adds more contrast and avoids shading/highlighting exclusively against outlines.

Ignoring someone's critique because "it's not what you're looking for" seems a bit silly. If you really want to improve, you need to be able to take in criticism even if it's not what you want to hear.

Offline Demian

• View Profile
Sorry for the 1 line spam but I feel i have to say it: thanks pistachio, your post was very instructive to me (at least).
^^