AuthorTopic: Payment  (Read 17390 times)

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Payment

Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 07:47:34 am
I'd say what you've got is fine so far.  Eight tiles plus a larger image, first draft complete.  I don't think the mockup needs to make much sense because you're not doing a full tile set, just enough to show that these few pieces can fit together.  Looking rather good, actually.

It's your choice if you'd rather make a full tile set, but if you'd rather follow through with the challenge then complete these tiles instead.  Polish them up until you think they are good enough to get paid for, and check the times. 

If you want data to revise and add to what you have, maybe use one of the object/treasure generators to add a relic or two.  The Serendipity site has a treasure generator (http://nine.frenchboys.net/treasure.php) that produces results like:

Lying here is a statue made of rosewood, depicting a series of interlocked circles.
You unearth a stone plaque depicting a battle. It is unnaturally cold to the touch.
You have found a candleholder made of battered steel.

Mostly fantasy stuff, so you' might need to adapt it for your realm.  A sci-fi light lamp instead of a candle holder, for instance.

Finishing up these tiles up is good enough to say challenge complete without the extra rework though.  The after-challenge activity is to figure if this was a reasonable simulation of your real work flow, figuring out what was important to getting the tiles done (like the sketching you mentioned), and maybe revisit the original request that started the thread as if it were a sample job.

Tourist
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:52:45 am by Tourist »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 08:24:30 am
Not to go off-topic with crits --

The orange is too saturated, it clashes with the tiles for attention.

I'm not a fan of the line of rocks between the grass/rock tiles and the little rock tiles.

The stones look a little crate-like, they read more as individual objects. I feel like they should at least be able to tile with themselves. Using both the brown and green highlights on those tiles seems overkill. It would look more consistent with the established look if those green parts were grass (drawn like the grass tiles) growing in the rocks' cracks.

As for the rockdigger, it looks a good but a bit boxy. I would try to deviate from rectangular shapes to de-emphasize the implied tile grid. If that darkest shade was a little darker and with a slight blue tint, it would make the forms pop a lot more. Also, the vehicle's function is not immediately apparent. Initially I thought those grinders were a tank tread. The scoop that sticks out in front is difficult to distinguish from the grass and rocks.

Overall, this set is much more concrete and cohesive. Usually, sketching on paper is a good way to plan ahead without wasting much time.

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 10:43:46 am
I'll get this finished tomorrow I expect, I've got to get on with getting a game from start to finished by next tuesday pretty snappily O_o

In response, before bed:
@Tourist: I think I will just polish these ones up. I don't have the time to go gallivanting off developing this for much longer, so I'll stick to the task and evaluate.

@big brother: My monitor has adjusted its colours (I'm using flux) and it shows the orange as much harsher. The green sticks out a bit more than I'd like on the brickwork too, I'm going to tweak the various forms there; the larger stone doesn't read too well, and the grass topped dirt needs tweaking.

The rockdigger crits are very valid, I'm concerned about the readability but the spec was that everything was derelict and as the machine had to double as a "method of transportation" I thought it could be a good idea to have a bit of ambiguity.

Anyway, I'll push and pull everything around tomorrow amidst a short day at uni (yes!) and a bunch of paperwork from blackberry (boo!). Thanks for the feedback, you've been a help through this regardless of  some earlier harshness.

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 02:37:59 am
it's already updated itself upwards on the page, but here's the final product:

I toned down the saturation of the background colour and added some small relic tiles to add some noise to the surface.

6 hours work total, 2.5 calendar days total.

I'd say this is heading towards representative. It's how I'd "behave" if I was a week or two from the deadline, as I've been busy with a lot of other things. I'm glad I've got it done.

Now I've just got to do all the assets and code for a game to go onto a platform I've never developed for. No fear ::)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:10 am

I added another dirt halftile, tell me if you think it makes a difference in breaking up the grid a liiiittle just for the dirt sections. I don't suggest doing this with every gradiation, but it pays to do a little of it.

I also wanted to say I love the vibe of your tileset and that I think you've gotten a bit of a raw deal as far as reaction go so far because people thought you were boasting. Your art is good, you seem fast enough, please stick around in Pixelation and help others/help yourself :)

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:46 pm
I certainly don't plan on leaving any time soon, Helm.
The half tile does help the transition (particularly under the set piece) but I'm not sold on exactly how useful it would be. I'll have to play around with that idea a little more, it's interesting to think of antialiasing at a much larger scale.