AuthorTopic: Blossom Tales - Wizard Crocus attack animations / walk cycle spritesheet [page3]  (Read 68532 times)

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Wasteland mock up

Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 01:22:33 pm
Blossom Tales isn't up on XBLIG yet !  Still in development.

Below is a mock up for the Mire that Lily travels through on her way to the northern part of the map.   As always, all crits welcome :D :D :D

Here is a link to the mire scene with some rain and lighting effects,  right click and select show all to zoom in -- http://robertmaherdesign.com/Rain.swf

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Misty Mire / Statue mock up

Reply #61 on: July 29, 2011, 08:02:16 pm

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:48:55 am by RetroRob »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:26:04 pm by RetroRob »

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile
On the snowy scene, your blue is really saturated, and using such a saturated colour for outlines doesn't really work - it makes the outline compete for your attention.

I tried a quick palette edit, which also has some hue-shift and makes all the outlines non-black (black outlines are very harsh, especially against such bright colours)

I'd suggest trying some hue shifting on the swampy location too - currently there's an awful lot of that same green hue!

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games
On the snowy scene, your blue is really saturated, and using such a saturated colour for outlines doesn't really work - it makes the outline compete for your attention.

I tried a quick palette edit, which also has some hue-shift and makes all the outlines non-black (black outlines are very harsh, especially against such bright colours)

I'd suggest trying some hue shifting on the swampy location too - currently there's an awful lot of that same green hue!

Hey Ichigo Jam,
Thanks for the feedback.  After reviewing your edit I'd have to agree it does look better with the black outlines toned down.  I'm going to mess around with trying some different outline colors on the sprites for the snow area.  I'm trying as much as possible not to deviate from the NES palette which is why the mire has that same green everywhere in it.

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile
I'm trying as much as possible not to deviate from the NES palette which is why the mire has that same green everywhere in it.
Sorry if I misunderstand, but you've got like 10 shades of green on some of your mire tiles; the NES palette only has 4 shades of each hue, so you already not following it.

And even if you were rigidly following the NES palette, it still has several green hues available so you could use e.g. the yellow-green for highlights and get a bit of hue shifting in there.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games
I'm trying as much as possible not to deviate from the NES palette which is why the mire has that same green everywhere in it.
Sorry if I misunderstand, but you've got like 10 shades of green on some of your mire tiles; the NES palette only has 4 shades of each hue, so you already not following it.

And even if you were rigidly following the NES palette, it still has several green hues available so you could use e.g. the yellow-green for highlights and get a bit of hue shifting in there.

Yes some of the tiles - like the ones with the grass on them have an alpha transparency black outline which adds to the amount of shades on that tile. Sometimes I will darken the the original NES colors as needed - like the dirt / grass top tiles.  I didn't say I was rigidly following the NES palette, I just use it as the base.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crits Needed - Blossom Tales Sprites : Snow Town / Mire Update

Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 06:37:35 pm

The rain is in there just for mock purposes.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:29:36 am by RetroRob »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crits Needed - Blossom Tales Sprites : Dark Wizard Castle

Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 01:31:32 am

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crits Needed - Blossom Tales Sprites : Wizard Attack

Reply #69 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:17 pm
This is a scene from when the Knights of the Rose (the order of Knights in Blossom) confront Crocus (the wizard).   As you can see it doesn't go very well for the poor knights.

link to 400% - http://www.robertmaherdesign.com/blastMock.png