AuthorTopic: Blossom Tales - Wizard Crocus attack animations / walk cycle spritesheet [page3]  (Read 68499 times)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Video

Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 04:05:23 am
Hi all!
We submitted Blossom Tales : The Sleeping King to Dream Build Play competition last Tuesday.  I just wanted to give big thanks to everyone on these boards who gave me all the great feedback and critiques.   In the coming week I'll be posting more sprite work as production continues.  Probably going to start working more on the Dark Wood area.   Anyways here's a link to the youtube video that shows off some of the graphics and gameplay..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afD44SgH55w

Thanks again!

The gameplay looks promising; pretty good, actually, but only now do I realize how much the graphics seem to lag behind (for example, the rock to the right of the screen near the gateway's entrance looks nothing like a rock). I can live with it, but it's just me, being a pixel artist and perhaps (not to come off as bragging) being able to produce better-quality work than this. But considering the deadline, they're fine. But I think a collaboration between you and a bit of critiquing, or the graphics just being improved basically, would benefit the game.

Then again this is just personal opinion, and if I knew how I could probably whip up some sort of graphics-redo-pack, with a lot of time and effort, however.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Game Video

Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 09:49:07 pm
Thanks for the input pistachio.  I've been doing a lot of work on doing some of the graphics and color palettes I've posted earlier but things are starting to come together.

Here's an update of a town that I did this weekend...  would love any feedback on it.

Used the NES color palette for it.

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Town

Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 09:49:23 pm
doh hit the qoute buttong by accident when I was editing the title.  Can a mod delete this reply?

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Town environment

Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 11:11:39 pm

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Gypsy Caravans

Reply #54 on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:23 pm

New screenshot of the golem fight.    For this boss we've decided to implement a camera system that we can zoom out / zoom in.   This will allow us to do big fights like this instead of locking the camera in at 400%.  The zoom level for this boss fight is probably going to end up being about 200% zoom.     Any thoughts or comments on how the boss looks and what can be approved would be hugely appreciated :D

Offline Yuri

• View Profile

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Giant Golem Boss Battle

Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 01:11:12 am
Considering this is an XBLIG release, the graphics in-game aren't as important as the preview material and I think you've made good choice on setting priorities.  Video, title screen and game cover pic looks fine to me. The still screenshots aren't as good as the animation with overlaid photoshop/particle effects. Overall the style is homogen which is a highpoint but I also think there's room for improvement in the graphics department that wouldn't require too much reworking, especially color palette tweak. Toning down the bright pinks, yellow, purple and green would make the scenes more harmonious to me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:22:21 am by Yuri »

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 02:05:42 pm
Considering this is an XBLIG release, the graphics in-game aren't as important as the preview material and I think you've made good choice on setting priorities.  Video, title screen and game cover pic looks fine to me. The still screenshots aren't as good as the animation with overlaid photoshop/particle effects. Overall the style is homogen which is a highpoint but I also think there's room for improvement in the graphics department that wouldn't require too much reworking, especially color palette tweak. Toning down the bright pinks, yellow, purple and green would make the scenes more harmonious to me.

Thanks Yuri!  I'm workingn on the palette, trying to shift everything towards the NES Palette as much as possible.   

Here's a ss of the wasteland.  Any feedback always welcome.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 02:13:29 pm
The rain effects are... alright, but the bright and saturated blue just seems a bit too distracting. Consider it making it gray/transparent, maybe even with a hint of purple to fit the scenery?

Offline RetroRob

• View Profile
    • 2Headed Games

Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 02:40:24 pm
The rain effects are... alright, but the bright and saturated blue just seems a bit too distracting. Consider it making it gray/transparent, maybe even with a hint of purple to fit the scenery?

Totally agreed the screenshot doesn't really do the rain justice,  I'm planning on doing a sprite for the rain drops that have the diagonal line the bottom of it being about 90-95% opacity and then fade that to 0% at the top, when it hits the ground there will be a little droplet mark. .  Once we get it in game I'm def gonna try playing with a bunch of colors to get it right, but like you said, possibily pull in some of the lightning purple.

Offline phyerboss

• View Profile

Re: Crit Blossom Tales Sprites : Wasteland mock up

Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 07:42:00 pm
Hey is this game out on XLIG?

I didnt see it.